Hawk in flight

11 years 11 months ago #227798 by lesanne45

lesannesphotography.com
Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #227857 by TheNissanMan
The bird I believe is an Osprey, over here in the UK a very rare sight...

It looks as if the bird was quite some distance away and guess you've cropped quite heavily as unfortunately looks OOF.

11 years 11 months ago #227861 by chasrich
I agree this looks like an osprey - easy to mistake the two as they are similar in size and shape. :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 11 months ago #227869 by Fergie
The first shot would have been nice had the Osprey been in focus. Nice compostition but very soft which is a shame.

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now.
11 years 11 months ago #227875 by robbie

Fergie wrote: The first shot would have been nice had the Osprey been in focus. Nice compostition but very soft which is a shame.

Spot on!!
You choose one of the difficult photographic path to follow,birds inflight.Years ago,I wasn`t much better than you.
My path to improvement was to read alot and seek out help from my favorite wildlife photographer,to this day he is someone who is available when I need help.What i`m trying to say is....look at the wildlife photogs here,form a friendship and get the help with shooting AND processing.Had a glance at your gallery...GBH`s....
This isn`t meant as a 'knockdown' but just advise for improvement...if you choose me,I would consider it as an honor since there are some fantastic photogs here......Fergie for one,is top shelf!!!

11 years 11 months ago #227901 by lesanne45
Thank you for the correction. These are actually 2 different birds. Three of them were circling the pond I was at. The first shot was one that was farther away but the second one was almost right over me and a lot closer.

A lot of my shots have been oof lately. The photo I did of the Yellow headed Black bird I was actually able to get pretty close to but even though the focus seemed good looking through the camera still came out out of focus.

I am getting a bit discouraged

lesannesphotography.com
11 years 11 months ago #227904 by Baydream
Please don't get discouraged. Definitely use the resources offered her.
The shot yesterday could have been improved by spot metering and manual focus (the branches caught the cameras focal points leading to the OOF condition).

Robbie is so right about Birds in Flight (BiF) being one of the most difficult skills to master. Flight paths are not always predictable so focusing (I use center point focus a lot) is difficult at best.

Keep practicing. You will get better. I have gone from bad to OK over the past 3 or 4 years and keeping working on it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #227912 by bluesydude
I think they are terrific shots! It is good to get feedback and glean what you can from it. If a perfect shot is the requirement for posting on this forum then I am in the wrong place. :)

Keep your finger on the shutter button!

I will take as many as 200 shots in a given day and delete as many as 198. :)

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #227920 by lesanne45
I Sooo very much appreciate the feedback I have learned so much from you all already. Baydream I always shoot in mf just have a difficult time getting the fine tuning right. I get discouraged cause I guess I'm a bit impatient.

Thank you bluesy I will keep all the advise in mind and put it to use.

I would love to use all of you as mentors so expect lots of messages.

lesannesphotography.com
11 years 11 months ago #227924 by robbie

lesanne45 wrote: I Sooo very much appreciate the feedback I have learned so much from you all already. Baydream I always shoot in mf just have a difficult time getting the fine tuning right. I get discouraged cause I guess I'm a bit impatient.

Thank you bluesy I will keep all the advise in mind and put it to use.

I would love to use all of you as mentors so expect lots of messages.

Why shoot in mf?
Waiting to help!!

11 years 11 months ago #227927 by lesanne45
Maybe I don't know my camera as well as I should but I lose a lot of control over shots when using AF with manual focus I feel like I have more control.

lesannesphotography.com
11 years 11 months ago #227933 by chasrich
Birds in flight move too fast... try spot focus with a small aperture and see what results you get. Manual focus would be much harder I imagine.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #227945 by foto35

The Bird in flight is just one of many you will take and with each one you will learn a bit more. Just love what you do and the rest falls into place. Good Photo and with Zone focus in Manual Great photos become even Greater.

The Photograph is the window into the past for the future to see. (c) photo35 (tm)
Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #227953 by robbie

lesanne45 wrote: Maybe I don't know my camera as well as I should but I lose a lot of control over shots when using AF with manual focus I feel like I have more control.

Setup your camera the way you want it to behave.With MF,it is so difficult to focus and shoot...focus might be spot before you press the shutter BUT the bird is moving and by the time you press the shutter and shutter log,the bird WILL be OOF.Even if the bird is stationary it is recommended to use 'Continious Focus'...you should focus on the eyes and if you are spot on in MF if the bird`s head move a little there goes your pinpoint focus.
Keep shooting,you will get a technique that will work for you.

11 years 11 months ago #228001 by rmeyer7
Manual focus?! You're getting a whole lot closer than I would if I tried to shoot a bird in flight with MF! Valiant effort to say the least.

You'll really save yourself a lot of trouble and frustration using auto-focus with a single focus point. It's going to take some practice, but the advantage is that the practice will definitely pay off. Focusing such tough action shots manually, even with tons of practice you'd still have to get really lucky to get them in perfect focus.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024