Lupen Flowers

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #387085 by JeremyS
I shot this about 3 weeks ago, when I was out trying to find anything to take some pictures of. 

img\def

My focus point was the Lupen directly in the middle of the photo. 

EXIF:
Camera D800
Lens50 mm f 1.8g Nikkor 
Focal50 mm
Shutter1/500 sec
Aperturef/3.2
ISO200
The only thing I wish I could change is the middle right, where you can see a fence and garbage can... 

Let me know what you all think, and as always, ways to improve or what you liked about the shot. T

Thanks!

9 years 9 months ago #387086 by garyrhook
The challenge with scenes like this (as I just dealt with in my sunflower photo) is that, close up, the flowers all vie for attention. You have to do more to make the subject of your composition stand out. In this case, telling us the flower in the middle was the focal point doesn't really help, I'm sorry to say.

For me, the most interesting flower would have been the one closest, on the left. Even though you can't see all of it. Using it as the subject, with a somewhat shallow DoF, allows us to appreciate the color and detail of the flower, but gives us a context as to where you found it (in a field of similar flowers). None of which we really need to see in any detail. The cool thing about that one flower is that it's already physically separated from the others, so you had an ideal subject to begin with. Assuming, of course, it was of decent quality.

I would also have moved to my right to remove the sky (and buildings?) from the background, and just had trees. The bright background competes aggressively for attention.

In this situation I would always encourage taking the time to experiment. Different apertures, different focal points, different perspectives. Move around. Try different things.

You know the light is not ideal, but it is what it is, right?

The colors are gorgeous.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
9 years 9 months ago #387087 by ubookoo
Very Nice!! Did not really notice the garbage can until you pointed it out but you are correct about maybe cropping it tighter..

9 years 9 months ago #387092 by JeremyS

garyrhook wrote: The challenge with scenes like this (as I just dealt with in my sunflower photo) is that, close up, the flowers all vie for attention. You have to do more to make the subject of your composition stand out. In this case, telling us the flower in the middle was the focal point doesn't really help, I'm sorry to say.

For me, the most interesting flower would have been the one closest, on the left. Even though you can't see all of it. Using it as the subject, with a somewhat shallow DoF, allows us to appreciate the color and detail of the flower, but gives us a context as to where you found it (in a field of similar flowers). None of which we really need to see in any detail. The cool thing about that one flower is that it's already physically separated from the others, so you had an ideal subject to begin with. Assuming, of course, it was of decent quality.

I would also have moved to my right to remove the sky (and buildings?) from the background, and just had trees. The bright background competes aggressively for attention.

In this situation I would always encourage taking the time to experiment. Different apertures, different focal points, different perspectives. Move around. Try different things.

You know the light is not ideal, but it is what it is, right?

The colors are gorgeous.

I see what you mean, I did take some of those photos focusing on a closer flower and bringing those into focus more. I wanted to have a different kind of picture than your typical flower photo, I felt like the flower in the middle for some reason just attracts my attention and the others lead into it.

Moving to the right would have been a better idea, I completely agree that the buildings and sky do compete with the photo and take away from it a bit. 

Thanks ubookoo, *facepalms* I never thought about cropping it a bit tighter :rofl:

9 years 9 months ago #387194 by IzzieK
Nice colour. Anyway, the right name for this flower is Lupin or Lupine.

9 years 7 months ago #403918 by Travel Nut
Very nice. Great detail.!

9 years 6 months ago #407037 by Simon Says
That is beautiful! Excellent Shot!!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024