C&C Please: Cold Moon 12/6/2014

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #418648 by PT Talker

I guess it's about time I posted something. This is the first shot I've had time to process of the Cold Moon over my neighborhood on Dec. 6. I'll be uploading more later. Meanwhile, any feedback will be appreciated.

Exposure data:
Canon EOS REBEL T3i
EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 @ 300mm
1/80s @ f/20
ISO 400

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #418748 by Simon Says
That is beautiful! Excellent Shot!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: PT Talker
9 years 4 months ago #418822 by garyrhook
Nicely done. I like the placement of the branches. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #418844 by Patman
Very nice shot!!

9 years 4 months ago #419007 by Josh Jofoto
I've always wondered, how do you get a shot like this.  Are you taking 2 shots and combining afterwards in post?  

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #419014 by PT Talker

Josh Jofoto wrote: I've always wondered, how do you get a shot like this.  Are you taking 2 shots and combining afterwards in post?  

While it's fairly common to do composites with the moon, Josh, this is a single exposure. The 300mm focal length makes the moon seem closer to the branches, and since I used a narrow aperture on this one, the silhouettes of the branches are  fairly sharp, too.

As long as you have a steady setup and use a remote or self timer setting, shots like this aren't too hard to get. The tricky part is being in the right place.  The moon moves much faster than you might think.

-Dana

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #419100 by PT Talker
Thanks for the positive comments, everyone! :cheers:

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #419244 by stuartsbarbie
What a great shot.  Having something in the frame besides just the moon really puts the subject matter in the as the focal point for me.  I will have to try this sometime, moons just don't like me to much.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #419247 by shelland

PT Talker wrote:

Josh Jofoto wrote: I've always wondered, how do you get a shot like this.  Are you taking 2 shots and combining afterwards in post?  

While it's fairly common to do composites with the moon, Josh, this is a single exposure. The 300mm focal length makes the moon seem closer to the branches, and since I used a narrow aperture on this one, the silhouettes of the branches are  fairly sharp, too.

As long as you have a steady setup and use a remote or self timer setting, shots like this aren't too hard to get. The tricky part is being in the right place.  The moon moves much faster than you might think.

-Dana

Would you normally use a larger aperture for a moon shot if you weren't trying to keep the branches sharp? Just asking from an education standpoint. Thanks!

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

9 years 4 months ago #419270 by Travel Nut
Nicely captured!

9 years 4 months ago #419294 by PT Talker

shelland wrote:

PT Talker wrote:

-Dana

Would you normally use a larger aperture for a moon shot if you weren't trying to keep the branches sharp? Just asking from an education standpoint. Thanks!

One of the interesting things about shooting the moon is that the light it's reflecting is coming from the sun, so it's very bright. That means you can shoot with a small aperture and still use a fast shutter speed, which you need. So, in answer to your question, no, you wouldn't normally need to use a wide aperture. In fact, since the moon is a big sphere, shooting with a wide open aperture can cause part of it to be out of focus. f/8 to f/11 is a reasonable place to start if you're just concentrating on the moon itself. You certainly can go wide with it for different effects, and I have several other shots from this same night with blurred branches. I'll try to upload some examples soon.

Hope this is helpful.

-Dana

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #419303 by garyrhook
^^^ What he said. "Albedo .39" means that the moon is 40% as bright as the sun. That's really, really bright.

I will add here that with a shorter lens (200mm) I've had more success at f/2.8 than f/8. Perhaps the lens characteristics play a role here?  Not sure, but there are lots of tutorials out there on lunar photography, with lots of advice.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #419314 by PT Talker

garyrhook wrote: ^^^ What he said. "Albedo .39" means that the moon is 40% as bright as the sun. That's really, really bright.

I will add here that with a shorter lens (200mm) I've had more success at f/2.8 than f/8. Perhaps the lens characteristics play a role here?  Not sure, but there are lots of tutorials out there on lunar photography, with lots of advice.

Good point, Gary and thanks for adding it. I'm sure that lens characteristics play a huge role, as will focal length in general. The mind reels when it comes to the physics involved with a subject that far away.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #419320 by PT Talker
Just for fun and demonstration purposes, here are the 2 shots I took just before the one above. (Just quick crops of the jpeg files here, so probably not the best rendition.) Both of these are with the same lens at f/ll, one focused on the moon and one on the branches.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024