Ornithology Pictures

6 years 8 months ago #536982 by Future_Photographer
Hey Everyone! I have a quick question and need some help.

Does anyone know how to take good quality pictures of a bird in flight? I try to but you can never tell how distinct the bird is plus it is really hard to aim my camera at the bird while in motion. I just need some tips to help perfect it. Attached I will have a picture or two of birds I have taken. I hope they enjoy and any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

~Kevin

Make: NIKON
Model: COOLPIX L340
ISO: 180
Aperture: f/5.9
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 2:29am
Make: NIKON
Model: COOLPIX L340
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/4.4
Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
Captured: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 2:59am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 8 months ago #536983 by Future_Photographer
Oh yeah and my camera information is:
Type: Nikon Coolpix L340
Zoom: 28x optical zoom
Focal Length: 112mm
ISO range: 80-1600
Shutter Speed Range: 1 - 1/500 seconds

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #536997 by Zach Mosher
Get set up closer to a bird feeder.  Other wise you'll need larger zoom lenses.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Future_Photographer
6 years 8 months ago #537036 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Future_Photographer
6 years 8 months ago #537068 by Future_Photographer
Hey Effron!

I would like to thanks for the article and the tips really help. Much greatly appreciated!

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537069 by Future_Photographer
Hey Zach!

I just want to say thanks for the advice. I actually have a bird feeder I have not set up yet so that will be a blast for me to do! I really appreciate and take care!

~Kevin 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #538331 by effron

Future_Photographer wrote: Hey Effron!

I would like to thanks for the article and the tips really help. Much greatly appreciated!

YW, just keep shooting and posting!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #546708 by Alyssa Briggs
Nice shot... It's good to have some experienced photographers to help us learn more. 

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #546712 by Bryston3bsst
Not sure if the OP is still around......I realize this thread is a little old.

A bird feeder is not a bad idea, but your original request was to capture birds in flight. I do quite a bit of this type of shooting and it does take a great deal of practice. It also calls for quite a bit of camera. I'm not familiar with the Coolpix L340 but I suspect that it may not be up to this task. Specifically in regard the focus system.

When shooting BIF the biggest challenge is to be able to lock focus on your subject and then be able to track it's movements while maintaining that focus lock. It's not easy to follow some of these birds as they can be pretty erratic. Add to that the fact that their movements can be from any direction, away from you at any angle, toward you at any angle, up, down and all of the combinations in between. The picture below is a perfect example. These two got into it over something and were flitting around in every direction, so following them was tough. But that's when you get the really fun stuff.

I don't think the L340 has a sophisticated enough focus tracking system. In fact, it may not have this feature at all, and that is something that you (OP) will have to look into. Without it, shooting birds in flight is going to be next to impossible.

I would suggest looking at some more sophisticated DSLRs. There are a great number of them on the used market. Again, I shoot Canon so I don't know much about Nikon's models.  I can tell you that I started shooting BIF with a Canon 600D and the Canon 18-200 and my results were just ok. 200mm is just not long enough to get really great detail that most birders want.

Maybe this will give you some ideas to at least get started with.

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 6D
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Captured: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:55pm

Attachments:
6 years 6 months ago #546893 by Kyle Johnson

Bryston3bsst wrote: Not sure if the OP is still around......I realize this thread is a little old.

A bird feeder is not a bad idea, but your original request was to capture birds in flight. I do quite a bit of this type of shooting and it does take a great deal of practice. It also calls for quite a bit of camera. I'm not familiar with the Coolpix L340 but I suspect that it may not be up to this task. Specifically in regard the focus system.

When shooting BIF the biggest challenge is to be able to lock focus on your subject and then be able to track it's movements while maintaining that focus lock. It's not easy to follow some of these birds as they can be pretty erratic. Add to that the fact that their movements can be from any direction, away from you at any angle, toward you at any angle, up, down and all of the combinations in between. The picture below is a perfect example. These two got into it over something and were flitting around in every direction, so following them was tough. But that's when you get the really fun stuff.

I don't think the L340 has a sophisticated enough focus tracking system. In fact, it may not have this feature at all, and that is something that you (OP) will have to look into. Without it, shooting birds in flight is going to be next to impossible.

I would suggest looking at some more sophisticated DSLRs. There are a great number of them on the used market. Again, I shoot Canon so I don't know much about Nikon's models.  I can tell you that I started shooting BIF with a Canon 600D and the Canon 18-200 and my results were just ok. 200mm is just not long enough to get really great detail that most birders want.

Maybe this will give you some ideas to at least get started with.

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 6D
Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter speed: 1/1600 sec
Captured: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:55pm

Very well said! Everything bit of information you mentioned here is really learning and useful. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024