Male Bufflehead Reflection

6 years 2 months ago #568136 by Paul-Rossi
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/5.0
Shutter speed: 1/3200 sec
Captured: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:45pm

This photo was not a simple capture - probably the most complicated I have ever executed, so I will explain.  I had experience photographing this species in full sun early in the morning, and that was the case here. That was the best time to have enough shutter speed (with the limited ISO to get ungrainy shots for the camera used) to stop action and illuminate this particular subject properly, because with higher sun the florescence on the head and neck cannot be captured very well. I knew from experience the manual exposure settings required so I would slightly pop the brilliant white on the bird's head and be able to bring out as much detail and florescence in the bird's dark areas of the head and neck.  I knew I needed 1/3200 sec to stop action if it ran into flight (other times at 1/2500 sec many shots came out too blurry for me). I was photographing at pretty close range out of my van window, as many birds in front of me would fly away if I got out, but they accepted my presence as long as I stayed in my van.  I used a beanbag (similar to the Naturescapes SkimmerSack II Beanbag) and a panning ground plate (similar to the Visual Echoes Panning Plate) so I could stabilize the 600mm lens and camera and pan horizontally very smoothly - this took lots of practice to accomplish, while locking focus on subjects. My camera was set up for continuous high-speed shooting and on AI Servo Mode. I expanded the focusing points to 7 points around the center point, as I found with experience I had better luck maintaining locked focus like this, just in case I wasn't perfect staying on the bird. All of the birds (which were located to my left about 20 yards) flew away further to the left down the straight creek - and landed about 60-80 yards away.  But one male bird was under water when they took off.  He surfaced to the right of my shadow line which was pointing (on purpose) directly perpendicular to the direction of the creek.  I knew from experience that he would probably want to join the group.  And the early morning’s calm water provided the opportunity for a reflection shot of this bird’s running takeoff.

Successfully capturing this image requires knowing the clue it would give before taking off.  It raises its head up tall and straight, looking forward, and about 1 second later it takes off like its shot out of a canon.  I had to begin moving the camera and lens to the left at the right time, and at the right speed, just to keep the bird in the frame, but needed to keep the center of the frame on the bird as much as possible, preferably toward the head and neck. I took a burst of 4 shots (with camera at 8 shots per second) as it ran past my shadow line.  That is where I would have the greatest opportunity to catch the florescence of its head, but only if its head was at the correct angle (I took this type of shot a few years before but the bird angled its head slightly away and there was no florescence).  I had luck with this shot not only because the head angle was good but because he was closer than I expected and I caught a shot with the wings down, so the wings and their reflection stayed in the frame, and I caught good enough focus - sometimes the wing action alters the focus too much.

Workshop:    paulrossibirds.wordpress.com/workshops/
Book:     beautifulbirdseup.wordpress.com/home/
www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Birds-Michigans...insula/dp/1684180953
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago #568229 by Monica Martinez
Great! Perfectly timed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul-Rossi
6 years 2 months ago #568236 by Kira Minori
Walking in water... I saw this in the latest Uploads. Nice! 

6 years 2 months ago #568421 by Kelly Emery
The reflection is so clear. Nice capture!

6 years 2 months ago #568471 by Aaron Rogers
:judge:  Cool!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024