Fishing Lesson

5 years 2 weeks ago #639360 by jeffnles1
I was in my kayak fishing yesterday when this osprey decided to give me a lesson on how it's done.  It was about 175 yards away so these are heavily cropped.  Nikon D7200.  Sigma 100-400 (at 400).  Manual Mode with Auto ISO.  1/640 sec, F6.3.  ISO 100-160.

I was set up for shooting herons and egrets along the shore and the osprey was totally unexpected.  Wish I had used higher shutter speed but it is what it is.  Here's the sequence.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D7200
ISO: 110
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter speed: 1/640 sec
Captured: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 9:11am
ISO: 100
ISO: 160
Captured: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 9:10am
ISO: 160
Captured: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 9:10am
ISO: 110

5 years 2 weeks ago #639363 by jeffnles1
Well, that didn't pan out.  The photos were supposed to be in a sequence.  I guess you all can figure that out.  I have absolutely no idea how to go back and edit the post to put the photos in the correct order.
the order should have been:
_2JS2197
_2JS2198
_2JS2203
_2JS2207
_2JS22212

5 years 2 weeks ago #639701 by Suni Park
i got what you are trying to do here. Really nice timing. But some shots needs some sharpness. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffnles1
5 years 1 week ago #639849 by Jin Hyuk Kwon
It would have been a great moment if you were able to adjust the shutter speed. But nevertheless, there are some great snap, the last photo for instance. 

5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #639899 by jeffnles1
I agree with everything said. However this was taken from a moving kayak and came about totally unexpected. I’m surprised they came out as good as they did.  Also, the ones where it is coming off the water were about 175 yards out, heavily cropped.

I posted these more because it was a cool sequence than for photographic excellence.
I categorize my wildlife and nature photography into 3 major classifications.
1) ID Shot ( used for when I get home to help identify a bird, flower or other creature or to help others make an identification.)

2) Documentary - been there/done that, seen this.  The above photos fall more into the documentary category.

3) Creative / artistic photography.  Probably not the best way to describe.  The below would be more representative of the 3rd category.  

One thing I never set up a scene (even with wildflowers).  All are taken in their natural environment.  I would never do something like "cut" a wildflower to move it to a more attractive spot.  I also don't believe it is right to call in animals or purposely flush them out.  Yes, we flush them out when walking through the woods, can't be helped.  I'm talking what I saw one photographer do when he threw a rock into a lake to get some ducks to flush to get bird in flight shots.

An example would be the blue wing teal.  This pair was coming in for a landing.  I was sitting in the reeds alongside the pond waiting for them to come in as I knew it had been frequented with several pair.

ISO: 100
Aperture: f/11.0
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 10:36am
ISO: 320
Captured: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 17:18pm
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Captured: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 15:26pm

Attachments:
5 years 1 week ago #639995 by Alyssa Briggs
On the second set, the second shot is the most successful. I like the color and contrast of the shot. 

5 years 1 week ago #640065 by jeffnles1

Alyssa Briggs wrote: On the second set, the second shot is the most successful. I like the color and contrast of the shot. 

Thanks Alyssa.
The pair of blue wing teal was also a bit of a lucky break.  I was photographing a pair of mating snapping turtles on this pond when I heard the wing beats as they were coming in.  I was able to fire off a couple shots right before they touched down.  When one is laying down on his/her belly getting low angle shots of turtles and a pair of teal fly by it's an auto fo "how fast can I get into position and get a shot"....

Thanks again for your comments.
Jeff

5 years 1 week ago #640134 by Bobby Mitchell
I guess we need to train our body to capture unexpected shots because most of the time they turn out to be unexpectedly good shots just like what you have here. Nice DoF for the 2nd photo. I really like the focus too. 

5 years 1 week ago #640184 by jeffnles1

Bobby Mitchell wrote: I guess we need to train our body to capture unexpected shots because most of the time they turn out to be unexpectedly good shots just like what you have here. Nice DoF for the 2nd photo. I really like the focus too. 

Bobby, I think the best thing is to not let yourself get old and fat like me. :)
Jeff

5 years 1 week ago #640315 by Carl Mendez
Hilarious! To be a photographer, we need to be physically active all the time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024