Pricing for amateur photographer

12 years 8 months ago #124353 by HockeyMom
Hey everyone, so I'm trying to get my business to take flight, however I'm not 100% sure what the going rate is for photographers these days. I live Pictou County Nova Scotia, which consists of 5 small towns put together. I do have competition with another couple of photographers, but everyone has their different style of photography. I also was wondering with the price that we charge, what is included with that? ie: edited/non edited pics, cd, time, travel? pls go easy on me as I'm trying to get everyone's opinion!

Thanks,
Sabrina:)

ShutterBugz Photography
12 years 8 months ago #124358 by rjc2576
Hello Sabrina,
I have recently ventured into this as well. As I live in the United States and a Big city let alone a Huge State, There is lots and lots of compitition out here. Some really Good and some really bad. But the really good ones are making a lot of money doing what they do. I am not in it per say for the money, but If I can make money doing what I like well why not. Some of the better Photographers or I should really say, more experienced ones, not really better charge clients a session fee of over $100 USD, and that includes just there time, then the clients have to purchase the photos from thier site or pay for a Copywrite release.
So what I have done is look more at some of the amature/pro sites and see what they offer for pricing and what types of photos they shoot. If I feel that I can produce the same quality of photos or Better I will put together a package to make my price more worth the money. However most of your compitition out there you need to remember have probably been in the buisness a little longer. I dont know what your skill level is, but those others will have a following. This buisness is all about repeat customers and Word of mouth from those customers to get their friends to go to you.

Hope this helps and Good Luck. If you would like take a look at my Website and respond back..
Happy Shooting! :)

Rodger J. Clark II
Photographer
Treasured Life Memories Photography
www.Treasuredlifememories.com
[email protected]
TLM_Photo@twitter

12 years 8 months ago #124364 by HockeyMom
Thanks! I know the competition here, well the female, has not credentials and her bf well he has credentials...I am doing an online course through The Photography Institute which is located in BC Canada...after I am finished I will have a certificate stating that I am a photographer!

I know it can be difficult and I guess this is what's frustrating me! I also have a page up on Facebook if you would like to check it out and let me know what I could do to better myself that would be great! It's ShutterBugz Photography with the gerber daisy as profile pic!

I will definatly check out your website!

:)

ShutterBugz Photography
12 years 8 months ago #124367 by rjc2576
Sabrina,
That is pretty good if your only compitition is a friend and her BF lol, Here in San Antonio Texas there are Tons of Professional and Amature Photographers so compitition is very heavy here lol. That is also great that you are taking some classes I have looked into that too, and have taken some inexpensive classes here just no certifications. I have talked to Campus and other photographers about the impact of having a degree or diploma in photography and the answer I get is " it is nice to have but your diploma is not going to sell your pictures your pictures are going to sell your pictures" .

It is nice to have some practicle experience in class to understand things like compisition, exposure, f stops, and how to get certain images, However everything I have learned I have etheir researched online or read a book on how to do it. There are great resources out there for you online Adorama tv is a good one on youtube as well as DPS.com.

I will check out your site and let you know how it is. you can email anytime at [email protected]
Good Luck to you!

Rodger J. Clark II
Photographer
[email protected]
TLM_Photo@twitter

12 years 8 months ago #124369 by rjc2576
What Kind of Camera equipment and photo editing software do you use?

Rodger J. Clark II
Photographer
[email protected]
TLM_Photo@twitter

12 years 8 months ago #124370 by rjc2576
Our FB page is Treasured Life Memories Photography
Cibolo, TX
It has a picture of young boy next to a tree.

Rodger J. Clark II
Photographer
[email protected]
TLM_Photo@twitter

12 years 8 months ago #124406 by Baydream
Hi Sabrina.
I am currently just east of Truro (Lower Debert). Image Makers is the Truro photo club and quite active except during the summer. A lot will depend on the type of photography you do. Kirk Saint (uniqueimages.com) has been a judeg at our competition and is truely a noce guy to talk to. Tyler Rogers is a pro in our club. Check our web site and I'll bet Tyler will be willing to offer advice on Nova Scotia pricing.
imagemakerstruro.ca/
John

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024