A Few Nikon Lens Questions

13 years 6 months ago #2065 by photop
Hey guys! I am trying to decide which lens kit to get. Right now I am looking at the AF-S or the AF. What are the differences between these two lenses? If I get the AF lens will I just have to use manual focus. I would like to choose between a 18-55 or a 18-70. Any thoughts?

13 years 6 months ago #2202 by roper
The 18-70 is a good lens

13 years 5 months ago #6543 by DaveO
It depends on what body you have whether a AF lens will focus or not. A AF-s lens will focus with any body I believe.

DaveO

13 years 5 months ago #6546 by PhotoAl
It depends on whether you are using a smaller Nikon DX format (Canon has their equivalent, crop format maybe) or a larger Nikon FX format (Canon 'Fullframe'). That is the starting point, as a DX lens on an FX body is a waste as it crops the image, so why bother. I suggest you review articles by Ken Rockwell, at Kenrockwell.com. While often opinionated, sometimes self contradictory, and liable to get under the skin of many, some of his pages will give you explanations that you are looking for. There are many 'experts' on the web, many are really not.

13 years 4 months ago #9326 by Stealthy Ninja

PhotoAl wrote: It depends on whether you are using a smaller Nikon DX format (Canon has their equivalent, crop format maybe) or a larger Nikon FX format (Canon 'Fullframe'). That is the starting point, as a DX lens on an FX body is a waste as it crops the image, so why bother. I suggest you review articles by Ken Rockwell, at Kenrockwell.com. While often opinionated, sometimes self contradictory, and liable to get under the skin of many, some of his pages will give you explanations that you are looking for. There are many 'experts' on the web, many are really not.

Ken Rockwell does have some good things on his site. But some of the things he says are really... well... not good. I'll just say, be careful when viewing his site and make sure you check with others before taking his word as truth.
13 years 3 months ago #12181 by crystal

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Ken Rockwell does have some good things on his site. But some of the things he says are really... well... not good. I'll just say, be careful when viewing his site and make sure you check with others before taking his word as truth.

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way about Ken Rockwell. I went to his site once years ago and I won't go back. I won't even mention his site to other people. Every time I hear his name I cringed.
13 years 3 months ago #12260 by Rob pix4u2
The AF s lenses are "silent" motor lenses and that is the only generational difference from the AF lens

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #12319 by Scotty

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Ken Rockwell does have some good things on his site. But some of the things he says are really... well... not good. I'll just say, be careful when viewing his site and make sure you check with others before taking his word as truth.

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way about Ken Rockwell. I went to his site once years ago and I won't go back. I won't even mention his site to other people. Every time I hear his name I cringed.

He was good at explaining the Ansel Adams Zoning method in an Outdoor Photographer....other than that, the guy is a joke.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12354 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

He was good at explaining the Ansel Adams Zoning method in an Outdoor Photographer....other than that, the guy is a joke.

I've never even heard of this guy. I just visited his page... didnt stay long. The color in his landscapes are not believable... a little too overdone.
13 years 3 months ago #12474 by Stealthy Ninja

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

I've never even heard of this guy. I just visited his page... didnt stay long. The color in his landscapes are not believable... a little too overdone.

The thing with him is he gets say 60% of what he says right, but 40% is laughable. How's the beginner to know?
13 years 3 months ago #12477 by Screamin Scott
While he's not liked by many, I have to give him credit for getting his Nikon camera/lens compatibility chart correct. That's more than I can say for the Nikonians website. I used to be a member there until it started charging for membership. You would think an exclusive Nikon site would have accurate info on it but their chart has errors. I tried to get them to correct it years ago to no avail. Wonder if it's still wrong. Talk about leading a beginner astray...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024