Help me decide on a new memory card

11 years 8 months ago #243821 by Alex
Hey guys I'm currently shooting with a 16 GB 30MB/sec SD & 16GB 60MB/sec CF cards in my D800. and only getting about 100 photos on each card before these are full. I'm looking at some 64GB cards and wanted to bounce these off you:

1. SanDisk 64GB Extreme Compact Flash Memory Card - Up to 60MB/S Read/Write www.adorama.com/IDSCFEP64G60.html

2. SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro CF90 Compact Flash Memory Card www.adorama.com/IDSCF64GEP90.html

3. Lexar 64GB Professional 1000x CompactFlash Memory Card www.adorama.com/ILXPCF1K64.html

Now with each of these the price goes up pretty quick #3 has some blazing speeds. The D800 has only 4fps but of course larger file sizes. Would there be any benefit in investing into a card like the Lexar?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243822 by Scotty
I used to like Lexar and only shot those. I have the Sandisk 32 gig 60MB/S cards now and would highly suggest them.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #243823 by Stealthy Ninja
Dude, why you shooting uncompressed?!

Shoot lossless compressed 14bit and you'll double the amount you can shoot on those cards with no loss in detail.

I can get about 200 shots per 16GB card (that's 400 for both).

Brands don't matter. They're all made in the same factory in china (my chinese friend knows this for a fact, they're just branded differently). The bitrate for video on the D800 is 22-25MB/sec. So you don't need more than 30MB/sec speed unless you want to clear your buffer quickly or transfer faster or something I suppose.

I use Kingmax and Sandisk or whatever brand is cheaper.
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #243824 by Stealthy Ninja
Go for the $194.95 one (the first one) save your money on the speeds. 60MB/s is more than enough.

Also, why buy a 64GB CF card? SD cards are cheaper.
11 years 8 months ago #243845 by shelland
Too bad you missed an Adorama 1-day sale last week. They had some great prices on higher end SanDisk.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 8 months ago #243852 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Go for the $194.95 one (the first one) save your money on the speeds. 60MB/s is more than enough.

Also, why buy a 64GB CF card? SD cards are cheaper.

I'm going to get a 64GB SD card too. I hate being out and running out of space.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243853 by Alex

shelland wrote: Too bad you missed an Adorama 1-day sale last week. They had some great prices on higher end SanDisk.

Now you tell me! ;) :watching: :rofl:

Eh... next time!

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243854 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Dude, why you shooting uncompressed?!

Shoot lossless compressed 14bit and you'll double the amount you can shoot on those cards with no loss in detail.

Brands don't matter. They're all made in the same factory in china (my chinese friend knows this for a fact, they're just branded differently). The bitrate for video on the D800 is 22-25MB/sec. So you don't need more than 30MB/sec speed unless you want to clear your buffer quickly or transfer faster or something I suppose.

What's the trade off to shooting compressed? There most be one?

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243855 by Alex

Scotty wrote: I used to like Lexar and only shot those. I have the Sandisk 32 gig 60MB/S cards now and would highly suggest them.

Weren't you shooting Lexar when you were at Grand Canyon?

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243886 by TheNissanMan
Don't rule out Transcend, I've been running the 32gb 600x on the 7D since the begnning of the year and never had a problem with space or speed, considerably cheaper than sandisk.

11 years 8 months ago #243887 by Scotty

Alex wrote:

Scotty wrote: I used to like Lexar and only shot those. I have the Sandisk 32 gig 60MB/S cards now and would highly suggest them.

Weren't you shooting Lexar when you were at Grand Canyon?

No, all sandisk.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243904 by effron

Alex wrote:

francoismalan.com/2011/10/raw-12bit-or-14bit-lossy-or-lossless/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #244303 by Alex

effron wrote:

Alex wrote:

francoismalan.com/2011/10/raw-12bit-or-14bit-lossy-or-lossless/

Thanks bro!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024