Which would you buy first? 24-70 f/2.8 or 70-200 f/2.8

11 years 9 months ago #244194 by NotDadsW41
Which one would you buy first if you were currently doing mostly portrait type work?

Most work will be done with off camera flashes, some indoors and some outdoors.

I am considering buying 1 or the other. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 9 months ago #244196 by John Landolfi
I'd say the 24-70 would be more useful, since you'll be doing portraits and using flash. The 70-200 might make it harder to get the light control you want at longer focal lengths

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244201 by Scotty
You shooting full frame or crop?

Also the VR II has focus breathing, and needs to be considered in regards to this.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244202 by NotDadsW41
I should add that since my kids are doing more competitive gymnastics this year, the 70-200 would be better for that... Crap do I need both? :cheer:

Cropped on my D40 for now Scotty.

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 9 months ago #244211 by Scotty

NotDadsW41 wrote: I should add that since my kids are doing more competitive gymnastics this year, the 70-200 would be better for that... Crap do I need both? :cheer:

Cropped on my D40 for now Scotty.

70-200, but I don't think the d40 will be able to handle the high ISO's needed.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244300 by Alex
I bought the 70-200mm first when I had my D90, then the 24-70mm came couple months after that. I don't shoot many portraits so can't speak which is better. I do enjoy shooting landscapes and personally feel if you have the means of getting both... get them. They both are awesome lenses that come in handy. Matter of fact when I go out shooting most of the time I will bring just 3 lenses with me 24mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244389 by effron
They are both a great lens, and stellar on a D7000. To answer your question, if it were me I'd get the 24-70 f/2.8 first. Might not matter if you stick with this interest called photography, you will eventually own both....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #244427 by NotDadsW41
Man I was afraid the answer would end up being "both".

When I tell my wife she will be :watching: you guys!

I would love to get both. But the prices on Nikon's gear is pretty high. So that leads me to... if not Nikon which other mfg? Tamron? Sigma?

Looking at the prices on Amazon, I could get both from Tamron for the price of the 70-200 from Sigma.

I know. I know. You get what you pay for... But given this is still a hobby for me and I am only doing the portrait work and other stuff for family and a few very close friends... Does it matter much?

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #244470 by Stealthy Ninja
Meh 24-70 isn't as good as the 70-200. It's also kinda boring IMHO (good range for a lot of stuff, but boring).

You'll enjoy the 70-200 more. Buy that first.

Also (here's a pro tip) once you buy the 70-200, it's so big and noticeable you can slip a 24-70 into your bag and the wife won't even notice. ;)
11 years 9 months ago #244495 by NotDadsW41

Stealthy Ninja wrote:
Also (here's a pro tip) once you buy the 70-200, it's so big and noticeable you can slip a 24-70 into your bag and the wife won't even notice. ;)

Great. Now I have to explain why I was laughing so hard while sitting here. Thanks Ninja!

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 5 months ago #259999 by studiotoffa
It all depend upon what's your main subject of capture. If you're mostly into landscapes, the 24-70mm is they one to get, as 70-200mm don't have so much uses in landscape (yes it's great for captureing detail, but for the grand vista, it'a all about the wide angle). But if you're mostly into sport or people, get the 70-200mm as the 24-70mm will have it's short comming in that department.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024