Why no deals on Nikon gear?

11 years 8 months ago #245204 by NotDadsW41
Rant mode.... So I've been waiting to purchase a D7000. My price point is the body must be under $1KUSD. Current prices are around $1100 including a rebate.

Meanwhile, prices on Canon's just seem to keep dropping. If you are patient and not a new adopter, you can move up for reasonable prices it seems to me.

So why is it that Nikon prices never seem to drop significantly? Even after new models come out?

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 8 months ago #245239 by ThatNikonGuy
Nikons hold their value better ;)

Be patient holiday's are around the corner, so are sale prices

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245240 by Scotty

ThatNikonGuy wrote: Nikons hold their value better ;)

Be patient holiday's are around the corner, so are sale prices

Demand is usually higher too.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245279 by effron
The above are correct, supply and demand. I have to wonder, for the difference of one hundred bucks, you will deny yourself the possibly finest crop DSLR ever made?:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245373 by NotDadsW41
I'm probably being pound foolish and penny wise... But yes I will.

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 8 months ago #245377 by Joves
Well the reason is supply is tighter. Even now when a new model comes out there is not a lot of overstock, Nikon learned their lesson of over producing after the D200 debacle for them after the D300 came out. Since then Nikon quite wisely keeps the inventory tight. So you can get a fairly good idea when the next model is coming out in that the current models will have supply bumps of out of stock. The only exception was the tsunami of course in which case everyone was screwed.
Your only option is to buy used then if you do not want to pay the freight on a new one. For your projected price being within $100 is not a major difference. But you will not get one for $1000 new. Your other option is to go Canon then since they are less expensive to you.

11 years 8 months ago #245378 by Scotty

effron wrote: The above are correct, supply and demand. I have to wonder, for the difference of one hundred bucks, you will deny yourself the possibly finest crop DSLR ever made?:unsure:

Canon 1d mark 4 > D7000.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245385 by NotDadsW41
ThatNikonGuy mentioned the holidays. Yeah I watched the prices then. D7000s on Amazon fluctuated form $1100 to $1400 for the body as I recall. So still no deal there.

I guess I am probably just going to have to same some extra $$$ and get the D7000 or...wait for D600.

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 8 months ago #245908 by Alex
You should check out www.KEH.com they usually have some killer deals going on.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #248279 by NotDadsW41
Uh oh..... guess what happened over the weekend...

CD

Nikon Shooter
D40, D7000

11 years 8 months ago #248285 by Scotty

NotDadsW41 wrote: Uh oh..... guess what happened over the weekend...

Congrats, you had a baby! :banana:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024