Where do you think Nikon has missed the boat?

11 years 3 months ago #271612 by Tim Kelley
Proud Nikon D700 owner here. As I go shopping around for another camera body I can't help to notice some of the pro's and con's people post about each of these cameras. So this had me thinking about area's Nikon could improve future cameras and lenses. Which of course lead me to this thread idea. So here you can post all your dirty laundry thoughts on what ever Nikon product and what areas did they miss the boat.

Let's hear what you got!

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271616 by John Landolfi
My biggest gripe is noise, the mirror slap that will bring hordes of irate music lovers down on the photographer trying to shoot a concert. Provide a setting where the mirror will stay up while shooting an uninterrupted sequence of shots (NOT just one shot>the mirror slaps down noisily>reset the whole thing). Shooting with a D3s, BTW.

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271618 by effron
My D700 is the closest to a perfect camera I've ever owned. A couple of things, the same body with a 24MP sensor, (not a D600), would be cool. The only thing I HATE on the pro bodies is the retarded 10 pin connector. Rarely can I attach a screw in remote without a near full blown temper tantrum. If I'm going out, and know I'm going to shoot on a tripod, I pre install it at home. I just let it dangle for hand held stuff.
Please forgive my sinful rant...... :(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271623 by John Landolfi
+1 on the ten-pin. Especially in the dark, try and find the darn indent...

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271628 by Stealthy Ninja
Nikon have some really nice Cameras at the moment. The D800e is the best DSLR in terms of pure image quality in the world at the moment and it also has really good high ISO and AF (of course that's not everything... hence me switching back to Canon). The D600 is better than the Canon 6D in many ways, but the 6D does have very good high ISO levels. I'd say it matches the D4 and comes close to the 1Dx (my nephew has a 6D and I was very surprised how darned good the high ISO is, it doesn't seem to maintain quite as much detail as the 1Dx and I couldn't compare RAWs (was just looking at the back of the screen) but it seems to control chromatic noise better than the 1Dx at least in jpegs... need to see RAW files for a true comparison.

Also, I think the 1Dx is a better camera than the D4. Nothing wrong with the D4 of course, but the 1Dx is better.

So anyway, the D800/e are amazing. The D600 is a fantastic camera for the price (beats the 6D). Also the D4 is a pretty good camera for sports (but not that much better than the D3s to be honest).

So yeh Nikon aren't doing too badly. What they do need is a "true replacement to the D700" meaning, something like the 5Diii.

John Landolfi wrote: My biggest gripe is noise, the mirror slap that will bring hordes of irate music lovers down on the photographer trying to shoot a concert. Provide a setting where the mirror will stay up while shooting an uninterrupted sequence of shots (NOT just one shot>the mirror slaps down noisily>reset the whole thing). Shooting with a D3s, BTW.

You should seriously look into mirrorless. I have the X-pro 1 which isn't FF (it's 1.5 crop) but it has very nice high ISO and colour. The AF won't be a match to the D3s but it's a lot more quiet and discreet.

Something to think about.
11 years 3 months ago #271630 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: My D700 is the closest to a perfect camera I've ever owned. A couple of things, the same body with a 24MP sensor, (not a D600), would be cool. The only thing I HATE on the pro bodies is the retarded 10 pin connector. Rarely can I attach a screw in remote without a near full blown temper tantrum. If I'm going out, and know I'm going to shoot on a tripod, I pre install it at home. I just let it dangle for hand held stuff.

What do you need the remote for? If it's for shooting on a tripod, use live view and a 2-5 second timer. Live view locks the mirror up (prevents slap) and the timer keeps your hands off the camera.

Of course this depends on what you're using the remote cable for.
11 years 3 months ago #271677 by John Landolfi
Yes, Adrian, I've been thinking about that. :thx2:

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #271682 by Stealthy Ninja

John Landolfi wrote: Yes, Adrian, I've been thinking about that. :thx2:

Yeh the fuji has very nice quality. The X-E1 is another good choice if you don't mind the EVF.
11 years 3 months ago #271693 by Scotty
I thought the d3s had a silent mode, or have I lost my marbles?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271708 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote: My D700 is the closest to a perfect camera I've ever owned. A couple of things, the same body with a 24MP sensor, (not a D600), would be cool. The only thing I HATE on the pro bodies is the retarded 10 pin connector. Rarely can I attach a screw in remote without a near full blown temper tantrum. If I'm going out, and know I'm going to shoot on a tripod, I pre install it at home. I just let it dangle for hand held stuff.

What do you need the remote for? If it's for shooting on a tripod, use live view and a 2-5 second timer. Live view locks the mirror up (prevents slap) and the timer keeps your hands off the camera.

Yeah. I'll try that next time. How do you say "don't move" in bird language?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #271717 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Ha yeh well I guess you don't need mirror lock up for birds.

Scotty wrote: I thought the d3s had a silent mode, or have I lost my marbles?

Yeh but it still makes a noise. I can take photos right in people's faces with my xpro1 and they don't even know (if they don't see me press the button). The xpro1 has a focal plane shutter, but its much quieter than a DSLR with its mirror slap and larger shutter, so it's pretty quiet. Some mirror less cams have leaf shutters which are even quieter.

Only problem is John hates shutter lag and the xpro1 might make him bald.
11 years 3 months ago #271783 by John Landolfi

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Yeh but it still makes a noise. I can take photos right in people's faces with my xpro1 and they don't even know (if they don't see me press the button). The xpro1 has a focal plane shutter, but its much quieter than a DSLR with its mirror slap and larger shutter, so it's pretty quiet. Some mirror less cams have leaf shutters which are even quieter.

That wouldn't be very drastic change... :rofl:

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271784 by John Landolfi
It does, Scotty. Lock-upthat works for one shot, after which you reset the camera ( which causes mirror noise) and you have to lock -up again. As Adrian points out, Silent has noticeable shutter lag, which is fatal to the kind of concert shooting I do, where I catch images on the fly. :)

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271793 by Stealthy Ninja

John Landolfi wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

That wouldn't be very drastic change... :rofl:

Perhaps not, but trust me it is much quieter. Maybe use a point and shoot? :whistle:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024