D500 and 200-500mm issue, maybe

5 years 1 month ago #634833 by john.scalera
Hey guys,

I have a d500 and I was shooting with my Nikon 200-500mm lens this weekend and noticed that the lens kept changing speeds even though I was in Manual Mode.  I'm not really sure why that's happening.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

5 years 1 month ago #634834 by Nikon Shooter
What speed are you talking about, John?

Do you mean AF speed, zooming action… or what?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634842 by garyrhook
Agreed: to what do you refer?

More detail is required as to the observed events. And, have you experienced this behavior with any other lens?

My 200-500 behaves exactly like any other lens, so I'm curious as to this situation.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634860 by john.scalera
Sorry guys, I was referring to the shutter speed.  Seems to bounce all over the place, seems to be the only lens that does it. 

5 years 1 month ago #634862 by Nikon Shooter
Ok, I surrender…
I never heard of anything like this before!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634882 by john.scalera
I'm going to try and reproduce it tonight and see if I can.  It's happened the last 2 times out with the lens so I must be missing something or changed a setting by accident.  It's driving me nuts.

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #634937 by garyrhook
(Going to suggest that) You must be changing to aperture priority mode without realizing it. Manual mode should leave nothing to chance (aside from auto-ISO, which doesn't affect anything mechanical).

Please share more information as it becomes available. This seems very interesting.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635013 by john.scalera
Well, I tried to recreate the issue last night and couldn't duplicate it so I've come to 2 conclusions.  Number 1: Must be pilot error.  2: I'm an idiot for recreating the same issue on 2 different occasions.  I must be changing the shutter speed as I'm shooting in the heat of the moment.  Thanks for reading and giving me input nevertheless.  I'm going to go throw out all my gear and learn how to knit.  

5 years 1 month ago #635019 by garyrhook

john.scalera wrote: Well, I tried to recreate the issue last night and couldn't duplicate it so I've come to 2 conclusions.  Number 1: Must be pilot error.  2: I'm an idiot for recreating the same issue on 2 different occasions.  I must be changing the shutter speed as I'm shooting in the heat of the moment.  Thanks for reading and giving me input nevertheless.  I'm going to go throw out all my gear and learn how to knit.  

I'd like to say that "we all do it" but I can only speak for myself: been there, done that. I've managed to change the image size via buttons before without realizing it. Annoying to find I've been shooting cropped instead of full sensor.

The mode button (atop the left side dial) could be easily pressed somehow while spinning the thumb wheel. That would change your mode. Keep an eye on the exposure mode letter (just above the meter)  in the viewfinder.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635025 by john.scalera
Thanks for the reassurance, lol.  I'm just stumped as to how I did that twice.  Oh well, lesson learned hopefully.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024