Nikon P1000 zooms out to 3,000mm

4 years 11 months ago #643613 by Stacy Merrow
I have never owned one of these P900 or P1000 cameras from Nikon.  I was on on the Nikon website then looking at it further on Adorama https://www.adorama.com/inkcpp1000b.html

It gets really good reviews, but what are people using this camera for.  Would this be a camera that can still be used for jobs or like a second body?

3000mm zoom is so much!  You could see craters on the moon with that I bet?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: fmw
4 years 11 months ago #643618 by fmw

Stacy Merrow wrote: I have never owned one of these P900 or P1000 cameras from Nikon.  I was on on the Nikon website then looking at it further on Adorama https://www.adorama.com/inkcpp1000b.html

It gets really good reviews, but what are people using this camera for.  Would this be a camera that can still be used for jobs or like a second body?

3000mm zoom is so much!  You could see craters on the moon with that I bet?

It may be ideal for you.  I don't know.  But you should understand the negatives.  A 125X zoom can be sharp somewhere in the zoom range but not everywhere.  If you look at the Nikon site, there is an image of the moon there and you can see how soft the image is.  I found no aperture info for the lens but I would suspect the image stabilization wouldn't be enough to make acceptable images at full extension without a tripod.  Also, it is a fixed telephoto zoom lens.  You will have no access to wide angle photography without damaging image quality even further.  I would suggest spending the money on an interchangeable lens camera with a normal zoom included with it.

If all you want is a snapshot machine it should be fine but fairly expensive for the purpose.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stacy Merrow
4 years 11 months ago #643619 by Nikon Shooter
The said 3000mm focal length is very relative
as the sensor of the P1000 is really minuscule!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stacy Merrow
4 years 11 months ago #643631 by Stacy Merrow
So I was just looking at that moon shot  That doesn't look as zoomed in as I thought 3000mm would get you.

Yeah, I don't know about this camera based on what I have just learned.

What size sensor is in this BTW?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #643653 by Nikon Shooter

Stacy Merrow wrote: What size sensor is in this BTW?

1/2,3 : 28.0735mm2 (6.17mm x 4.55mm) 
I really meant tiny! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643674 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Stacy

The N-900 & N-1000 along with similar Canon or Fuji superzoom cameras are designed and sold to people who simply like to take photos of 1001 things around them ... without necessarily considering the many things that we, as 'serious' photographers consider as desirable features ~ things like a clear, sharp image at all times

These cameras have smaller sensors than interchangeable-lens cameras, and therefore will struggle a bit with large 20" x 30" poster prints or low light situations. For someone who regards a smart-fone camera as 'great' then these cameras are 'super-great and wonderful'

The other side of the coin is that small sensor superzoom cameras can and are really good for many things - especially if the user is a 'hobby' photographer not a 'commercial' photographer. If the user was travelling for example, then a small camera with a 10x to 25x zoom lens can easily be carried on the plane or stored in a handbag. Such a camera might be 3/4kg, whereas a dSLR plus 2 or 3 lenses might be 5kg - and it all adds up with size, weight and expense

I use the Panasonic FZ-200 / 300 superzoom and love it. Its lens is restricted to 24x zoom with a max of 600mm [film camera equivalent]; its sensor is restricted to 12mpx so that noise is not an issue most times, and it is light enough to carry just about anywhere. While I have several 20" x 30" prints on the walls at home, most prints are 12" to 24" wide, and the sharpness there is more than okay. I have used SLR cameras for 40+ years, and now decided that this superzoom camera will do me ... as I am more a 'hobby' user these days and no longer do 'commercial' work

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024