Intermittent flash sync fail with Nikon D600

4 years 11 months ago #644331 by Jim Steyvoort
My set up is:

Nikon D600 (shutter speed: 1/200, ISO 200, f/8)
Pocket Wizard Plus III triggers
(2) Nikon SB 910 flashes

I'm seeing in a few shots, a dark section through my photo.  Like my shutter is not closing fast enough before the flash is complete.  But that doesn't make sense because I'm supposed to be able to shoot up to 1/200 for max sync speed.  Plus it doesn't always happen.  It might happen 1 out of every 20 shots or so.  

I've not changed any of my settings and my batteries are all good and charged. 

It's not a huge problem, more of an announce I would be interested in learning how to remove.  

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644450 by Nikon Shooter
Hey Jim,

One problem may be that some decision(s) are left to the camera.
Manual is the mode I chose for all flash work.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644497 by garyrhook
1/200 should be fine, but what would help is posting an image.

Sync problems show up as black rectangles along either the top or bottom of the image. This is the shutter curtain (either coming or going) that is in the way when the flash triggers.

Have you tried one flash at a time? Does that make a difference? Have you swapped the triggers between the flash units? Do you observe the same problem with either of the flashes on the camera itself? That would be one way to test for a failure point (i.e. the wireless units).

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644595 by fmw
Aside from fill flash, it is the flash that affects the exposure, not so much the shutter speed.  If your camera isn't performing correctly at maximum synch speed, just choose a slower shutter speed.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #644597 by Troponin

fmw wrote: just choose a slower shutter speed.

^^^
What happens when you shoot at 1/160th? 

Just did a Google search and the results are always the same; Person complains of D600 not working at 1/200, settings correct... everyone replies that the OP doesn't know what they're doing. The problem here is that, not only does this seem to be a common issue, but it also appears as though no one has solved the issue and no one giving advice seems to be able to figure it out either.

So either there is truly something wrong with the D600, or few folks know how to actually work this camera. Oh, and this def a shutter/sync issue. Folks are posting photos and it's obviously what's happening. I get this exact same issue when I am shooting at 1/250th on my camera and it's synced to 1/200. Perhaps it's a flash compatibility issue? 

What other settings could possible be messing up sync? I can't think of any other than being at the wrong shutter speeds. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644630 by garyrhook
This is very interesting. I think these folks know how to operate their camera, and the problem is the wireless units.

I ran across this post:
nikonites.com/flashes/10932-sb-910-paire...c.html#axzz5oKjtT2Mv
where it seems the wireless triggers can't keep up. Perhaps that's the problem here (Pocket Wizards notwithstanding)?

One wonders if optical slaving would work? And I didn't suggest it, but what happens when the flash is on-camera? (i.e. get the PWs out of the loop). If the problem does away on-camera, then the problem is the triggers.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024