D850 or Z7?

4 years 9 months ago #649835 by Mr Houssam Alissa
Hi - just bought a Nikon D850, but thinking about whether I should exchange it for a mirrorless Z7.

Thinking this because of Z7 image stabilisation (I like taking handheld photos at night and indoors) and apparently better video. Also EVF sounds kind of cool? Generally quite new to photography so would love to hear your opinion!

4 years 9 months ago #649840 by Nikon Shooter
For night or low light, a tripod will serve you better.

I got the D850 and I'm happy, very happy with it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649849 by garyrhook

Mr Houssam Alissa wrote: Hi - just bought a Nikon D850, but thinking about whether I should exchange it for a mirrorless Z7.

Thinking this because of Z7 image stabilisation (I like taking handheld photos at night and indoors) and apparently better video. Also EVF sounds kind of cool? Generally quite new to photography so would love to hear your opinion!

I'm guessing you're the kind of consumer the manufacturers love: willing to lay out a lot of money before you know what you want, need, and can use.

I'm not intending to be insulting, but have considered learning first? If you know the technical aspects of what you want to accomplish, you'd know what kind of camera/system you need (plus lenses... don't forget the expensive lenses). Sounds to me like you only know where and under what conditions you wish to create images. There's more to it than IS... And there are plenty of systems with IS, that run in auto mode, and are capable of creating good images, for a lot less money.

"Apparently better video"? Not sure I agree with that, but what matters is whether you intend to capture video. Which you do not mention.

Why is an EVF "cool"? Does it help you solve a problem, or accomplish a goal? Again, knowing what you want first seems key.

That said, I'm happy with my new D850, and will wait a number of years before considering a mirrorless Nikon body.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650622 by Juan Anthony

garyrhook wrote:

Mr Houssam Alissa wrote: Hi - just bought a Nikon D850, but thinking about whether I should exchange it for a mirrorless Z7.

I'm guessing you're the kind of consumer the manufacturers love: willing to lay out a lot of money before you know what you want, need, and can use.

I'm not intending to be insulting, but have considered learning first? If you know the technical aspects of what you want to accomplish, you'd know what kind of camera/system you need (plus lenses... don't forget the expensive lenses). Sounds to me like you only know where and under what conditions you wish to create images. There's more to it than IS... And there are plenty of systems with IS, that run in auto mode, and are capable of creating good images, for a lot less money.

"Apparently better video"? Not sure I agree with that, but what matters is whether you intend to capture video. Which you do not mention.

Why is an EVF "cool"? Does it help you solve a problem, or accomplish a goal? Again, knowing what you want first seems key.

That said, I'm happy with my new D850, and will wait a number of years before considering a mirrorless Nikon body.

Ouch!  Little rough there huh?

OP  - Either of these cameras is a lot of camera for someone starting  out.  Have  you considered a more entry level camera?  Nikon D5500 or D7200  would be a good place to start.  Save some $$, learn the fundamentals and go from there. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #650626 by Mr Houssam Alissa
Hi both,

Thanks for getting back to me. I suppose saying I'm "generally new to photography" may have been a bad way to phrase it.

I've had a D5500 for 3 years. I've been shooting off-auto for about six months or more. I understand the fundamentals of exposure triangle, white balance, light metering, etc. Have I mastered them? Of course not, I'm very much still learning. I used a Nikkor 35mm 1.8g DX lens.

I love my D5500 and it's been a great learning tool! However I am feeling its limitations, particularly with regards to its low-light capabilities. Shooting indoors or at night (without tripod) doesn't give me satisfactory photos. Too much noise and an orange hue that even white balance adjustments in Lightroom can't always get rid of.

I definitely need to upgrade to full frame, I have no doubt about that. I bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art Lens and I already have a Nikon 85mm 1.8g portrait lens. Though perhaps you're right and the D850 is too advanced for me? I just wanted to invest in a solid camera that I could grow into as I keep learning, maybe I made the wrong choice. That's kind of why I'm here! If you feel there's a cheaper camera that will be sufficient, do let me know about it! Was put off the 750 due to its lack of 4k video which would be a nice plus. Perhaps the Z6?

4 years 9 months ago #650627 by Nikon Shooter

Juan Anthony wrote: Ouch!  Little rough there huh? 

I am not pretending to any decent level of English but after
reading a few times Gary's reply I don't see the "roughness"!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #650646 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Juan Anthony wrote: Ouch!  Little rough there huh? 

I am not pretending to any decent level of English but after
reading a few times Gary's reply I don't see the "roughness"!

Gary did come off as a little harsh or brusque but he was trying to make a point in all fairness to him. Now back to the question at hand. If you want the best DSLR out there now, keep the D850. If you like the new technology and yes an EVF is cool with the information it can supply, swap for the Nikon Z-6 or Z-7. The 6 is better suited for video if that is important. All three are fine cameras. I personally prefer the size of mirrorless systems and think there are advantages otherwise also. I do understand they have some shortcomings but they are becoming less and less. Sports, action and wildlife favor the DSLR except for maybe the Sony A-9 and Olympus E-M1X with the Oly being more of a niche camera. Tried and true is the D850.
4 years 9 months ago #650723 by Mr Houssam Alissa
Thank you!

And for portraits and street photography, what are your thoughts? I wondered about even downgrading to Z6

4 years 9 months ago #650741 by Shadowfixer1

Mr Houssam Alissa wrote: Thank you!

And for portraits and street photography, what are your thoughts? I wondered about even downgrading to Z6

You really don't need the high megapixel count of the d850 or Z7 for portraits or street. It's more beneficial for portraits but not necessary. The Z's are better for street because of size. When it comes to street, a smaller, less intrusive looking camera works best. Something like a Fuji X100F or XE-3 is ideal. Olympus and Panasonic with pancake lenses tend to be less noticed also. If you're not shooting sports or action, either Z will do the job. If you want to shoot action, stick with the D850.
4 years 9 months ago #650747 by KENT MELTON
I shot the Z6 already and love the handling of it.  Supposed to be really good at video too.  I'd go with the new. Z7.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650760 by Piechura
The Z6 is great at video if you're outputting via HDMI to an external recorder and are going to spend the time colour grading it in post. You've got to realistically ask yourself whether you're going to do these things. Otherwise it has the same 8 bit video recording of most other similar cameras.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024