Nikon Z9 time to dump the XQD card

5 months 1 week ago #669207 by DRosewell
Nikon has a fantastic opportunity to dump the XQD card from its forthcoming Z9. Why incorporate a speed limiting format of only 440 Mb/s? With a forecast 60 MP sensor even a XQD card will become a bottleneck. A thin "chewing gum stick" housing for a M.2 Gen 4 measuring 2280 with 5400 Mb/s transfer speed interface is the way to go. Most professionals will always get a battery grip. So why not incorporate 1 chewing gum stick in the camera housing and a 2nd in the grip to suit the needs of professionals.

Its cheap and fast. i could get 2 x 1 Tb M.2  stick and housings for less than 1 x 256 Gb XQD cards. 10 x the transfer speed. 8 x the capacity. for the same price !

Its not rocket science. You can all thank me next year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #669229 by effron
I hope they get your message.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DRosewell

5 months 1 week ago #669241 by garyrhook
I think you mean "MB" which is megabytes, not "Mb" which is megabits. Not the same thing.

The primary problem with the cost of XQD is the licensing to Sony. If everyone would move to CFE (same form factor) that issue would disappear.

Until we have enough devices needing data rates that require XQD, nothing is going to drive change. And who realistically shoots a burst of uncompressed 47MP images that exceeds what can currently be buffered?

IOW you can talk about technological possibilities all day long, but so what? What is your use case that requires greater bandwidth?

I suggest that it's not stills, it will be video. 6K, 8K, uncompressed 4K, and at 10 bit or greater. That's what we need to support, and what may drive change. There are RAW 4K solutions available today.

And most folks don't need anything more than 16MP images.

So, other than turning XQD into another Memory Stick (we hope) I'm not sure there's any point to what you suggest.

I won't even go into compute resources for storage and processing of said images....

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #669258 by DRosewell
Yes the licensing fee to SONY is a factor of its cost, but its already outdated. So why incorporate it. The buffer on the D850 is fantastic and I am hopeful the Z9 will at least match it. However with a 60 MP sensor I would expect more. Think 100+MB Raw file sizes x 12 or 15 fps. Its not just write speed, i hate nothing more than the length of time to get the data off a card.

One would hope Nikons' Z9 will be exceptional at video as well so the 'use' case is easily met. Even with my limited use, I can easily think of aviation air shows, high speed sports, all the way through to colour guard, marching bands, cheer squads etc.

My posts main purpose is to suggest that utilising XQD would be a waste of an opportunity by Nikon. Its a excellent opportunity to develop and launch a cheaper camera, that will also provide users with 10 x faster data transfer on a cheaper medium that will save them further $$$ whilst providing the redundancy that semi-pro and pro photographers want.

5 months 1 week ago #669309 by Jakov Barnes
Unfortunate for those that have a camera with one of these cards used!  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #669460 by Scott Klubeck
Doubtful considering we are now reading that Nikon just released an XQD card of their own.  

Photo Comments

5 months 5 days ago #670068 by Carter Gledhill
Looks like after the Firmware update, that all Z series are getting set up for CF Express.  

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Latest Articles

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Camera cages offer tons of flexibility and versatility when using a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video. In this tutorial, learn how to use a camera cage.

May 18, 2020