packing the camera bag

13 years 6 months ago #3204 by brothershoe
I just got my first DSLR (Nikon D90) and among other things I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to pack it in the new camera bag along with the extra lens, external flash, and misc. stuff. Any tutorials out there? More importantly: Are there any "Don't do this or you will destroy your lens!" warnings I need to know about when packing a camera bag?

13 years 3 months ago #10356 by Rob pix4u2
Depends on the bag but generally no "wrong" way to pack your kit as long as it is padded and you don't abuse the bag. I pack my bags for quick access to the body and lens I am most likely to need first

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #10379 by crystal
Depends on the bag you have. Camera bags are made to protect, so no matter how you pack it you should be ok. There are individual padded dividers. Use those for each lens. I have a backpack camera bag. I have my 105mm macro, flash and a portable drive on one side. On the other side I have 18-135mm, 50mm, lensbaby. In the middle is 50-500mm and my camera. Everything else like cards, batteries etc.. are in smaller pockets. Tripod sits on the outside.
13 years 3 months ago #10382 by Rob pix4u2

cwightmanphotos wrote: Depends on the bag you have. Camera bags are made to protect, so no matter how you pack it you should be ok. There are individual padded dividers. Use those for each lens. I have a backpack camera bag. I have my 105mm macro, flash and a portable drive on one side. On the other side I have 18-135mm, 50mm, lensbaby. In the middle is 50-500mm and my camera. Everything else like cards, batteries etc.. are in smaller pockets. Tripod sits on the outside.

I have the backpack set up to carry two bodies , four lenses ,a flash unit in the main compartment, cords , cards,lens cloths, in the inner pockets and tools ( leatherman,tripod wrench, and such in the outer pocket, and laptop in it's own compartment. Again the monopod or tripod goes on the outside.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 3 months ago #10414 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I have the backpack set up to carry two bodies , four lenses ,a flash unit in the main compartment, cords , cards,lens cloths, in the inner pockets and tools ( leatherman,tripod wrench, and such in the outer pocket, and laptop in it's own compartment. Again the monopod or tripod goes on the outside.

Rob, what kind of bag do you have? It sound pretty big. Mine also has a spot to carry a laptop, of course it's front area for a tripod, two side spots for monopod (and works great for a hiking stick too). I also have a pouch, that sits on top that I carry food and small items of clothing like extra socks. What I love the most about my bag, it carries a bladder for water. When my husband and I bought these bags (he has one too). We loaded mine, put it on my back and I fell over. lol Not kidding. It's heavy (for me anyways). 25lbs. I'm getting used to the weight, but after a couple mile hike it gets heavy. I have the Lowepro Pro trekker 300 aw. Love it, but heavy.
13 years 3 months ago #10436 by Scotty
I'm rough with my gear, if it fits, and isn't falling out...good enough for me :kiss:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #10452 by Rob pix4u2

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I have the backpack set up to carry two bodies , four lenses ,a flash unit in the main compartment, cords , cards,lens cloths, in the inner pockets and tools ( leatherman,tripod wrench, and such in the outer pocket, and laptop in it's own compartment. Again the monopod or tripod goes on the outside.

Rob, what kind of bag do you have? It sound pretty big. Mine also has a spot to carry a laptop, of course it's front area for a tripod, two side spots for monopod (and works great for a hiking stick too). I also have a pouch, that sits on top that I carry food and small items of clothing like extra socks. What I love the most about my bag, it carries a bladder for water. When my husband and I bought these bags (he has one too). We loaded mine, put it on my back and I fell over. lol Not kidding. It's heavy (for me anyways). 25lbs. I'm getting used to the weight, but after a couple mile hike it gets heavy. I have the Lowepro Pro trekker 300 aw. Love it, but heavy.

It's a Lowepro AW trekker probably a 350 maybe ? My wife bought it for me to carry my gear to the hockey arena so i wouldn't be carrying two bags full of gear ( one for the camera gear one for the 300mm lens and laptop) it works great but it is heavy . I have another Lowepro front carry bag for food ,socks etc. I can wear for those occasions when i need to .
I used to carry a tamrac backpack but my system out grew it

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 3 months ago #11677 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: It's a Lowepro AW trekker probably a 350 maybe ? My wife bought it for me to carry my gear to the hockey arena so i wouldn't be carrying two bags full of gear ( one for the camera gear one for the 300mm lens and laptop) it works great but it is heavy . I have another Lowepro front carry bag for food ,socks etc. I can wear for those occasions when i need to .
I used to carry a tamrac backpack but my system out grew it

Cool, we pretty much have the same bag, just your bag is bigger. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #11711 by Joves

Scotty wrote: I'm rough with my gear, if it fits, and isn't falling out...good enough for me :kiss:

You and me both. My bag is a Camelbak BFM so it isnt padded at all, I just drop my gear in it.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #12571 by Stealthy Ninja
Rules

1. Don't let an elephant sit/walk on/do a jig on your bag.
2. Don't drop an anvil on your bag (no matter how funny it'll look).
3. Sand is NOT a packing material.
4. "Chimping" does not actually involve Chimps.
5. Your mouth is not a good place to store lenses.
6. Filters are not ninja throwing stars ( :blush: )
7. When using tripods. Legs down - Head up (that's includes YOU not just the tripod)
8. Despite the name neck-straps are not for holding a moose to your car.
9. Throwing your lenses etc. into a plastic shopping bag is an environmentally friendly way to be an idiot.
10. Do not eat your camera.
13 years 3 months ago #13841 by luckywish1
that is to funny. well i hope i pack my bag the right way when i get it. i will have to find one first gigggles

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024