Using the Panasonic GH4 with Canon glass?

9 years 8 months ago #394546 by Tony Bisson
I'm really putting some thought into this Panasonic GH4, mainly because I want the 4k video.  What I don't want to do is have to go out and buy all new lenses.  How is the workflow and quality using Canon glass on the GH4?  Is there any image quality compromised when using NON Panasonic/Lumix glass?

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394565 by NicoIa
I am in a similar situation: my main camera is a 6D and I use a converted GX1 for (most of) my IR work. Canon-to-MFT adapter are of three kinds:
a) completely manual: basically a piece of plastic/metal that allows you to attach the lens to the body; pros: very cheap; cons: no control at all on the aperture;
b) manual with built-in iris: as above, but the adapter has an iris that can be used to regulate the aperture; pros: quite cheap; cons: the blades are not were they are supposed to be, therefore you are likely to have flares and other issues. Also, the aperture scale is not in f-numbers so you have to guess somehow;
c) www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-BMPCC-BM1 this guy is capable to control the aperture and it is also a speed booster, that is it increases the maximum aperture of your lens. Pros: in principle, solves all your issues; reviews are good; Cons: very expensive!

I use method a). When I want to stop down my lens, I have to mount it on my Canon body, set the aperture, press the DOF preview button and unmount the lens without releasing the DOF preview button. As you can imagine it is not very straightforward, but in my case I use almost exclusively my wideangle L lens on the GX1, so it is doable. If you are planning to use all the lenses you have, it may make sense to buy the metabones but I am not sure about the effect on IQ (it has a glass element). Ideally I would try to rent the GH4 and the metabones before buying anything.

Hope this helps.

9 years 8 months ago #394768 by Robert Chen
I'd be curious if when recording in 4k and using non native glass if that effects the video quality:?

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394788 by NicoIa

Robert Chen wrote: I'd be curious if when recording in 4k and using non native glass if that effects the video quality:?

Why do you believe that would happen?

9 years 8 months ago #394846 by Dragonflies
I just bought this camera and bringing with me to America in our upcoming Oct trip.  I bought 2 lenses, the Panasonic 35mm f/2.8 and the 14-140mm f/4-5.8.  If you haven't seen it there is a good interview on this site where this question comes up.  I watched it last week right before ordering.  Give me a min, I need to find the link. 

9 years 8 months ago #394857 by Dragonflies
Found it!  I had to search my sent box because after watching I forwarded this link to a friend who is also looking for a 4k camera.

http://www.photographytalk.com/learnexplore60  

9 years 8 months ago #395257 by One Creative Girl

Dragonflies wrote: Found it!  I had to search my sent box because after watching I forwarded this link to a friend who is also looking for a 4k camera.

http://www.photographytalk.com/learnexplore60  

Santa is supposed to deliver this to me this year

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #395267 by Tony Imaging

Robert Chen wrote: I'd be curious if when recording in 4k and using non native glass if that effects the video quality:?

Not at all, you just don't get the auto focus 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #395321 by Tim Dordeck

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024