Red in the face

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118765 by krohweder
When I take portraits of my daughter she has a lot of reddish saturation in her face. How can I eliminate that without losing the colors around her, without a lot of post processing, and without overexposing her?
12 years 9 months ago #118774 by chasrich
Can you show us an example?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118790 by krohweder
I will try...I'm not sure how to do it...
12 years 9 months ago #118794 by krohweder

I know the focus is soft, but I think you can clearly see how pink she is in the cheeks.
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118795 by chasrich
Make sure the image is less than 2MB in size. Under the text box is a button Add File - click that and select your file. Once the file is selected there will be another button that appears Insert... that will allow you to include the image in the posting.

Nevermind - I see you got it.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #118812 by Nikonjan
Was it hot outside when you took the photo? You could go into photoshop or whatever you use and take the red saturation slider down a bit. It will take the brick down too though unless you try making it.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #118819 by chasrich
I would try the dodge tool... just a smidge.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118822 by Shadowfixer1
We need to know what software you are using for post work. If you have Photoshop, duplicate the background layer and use the hue/saturation sliders to make adjustments. You can pick red from the pull down menu and adjust the saturation and brightness there. Play with yellow also. When you have it the way you want it, add a layer mask then invert the mask so it's filled with black then use a soft brush set to white and brush in the area you want to reveal on the adjusted layer. It takes longer to type it than to actually do it. That's just one of many ways.
12 years 9 months ago #118825 by Shadowfixer1
12 years 9 months ago #118862 by krohweder
Thank you to everyone who has responded! I really appreciate the advice. :)
This picture was taken on a warm evening at about 900PM so she was not chilly as a source of the redness.
Thanks again!!
12 years 9 months ago #118884 by chasrich
I'm surprised nobody mentioned how pretty your daughter is... The redness looks like a healthy glow of youth from here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: krohweder
12 years 9 months ago #119210 by krohweder
Thank you so much Chasrich! I try to tell her everyday how beautiful she is.
Bragging moment... this girl is not only sooo cute, but she is mostly a straight A student while participating in 3 sports...She is my favorite person in the whole world!!
:)
12 years 9 months ago #119234 by Baydream

krohweder wrote: Thank you so much Chasrich! I try to tell her everyday how beautiful she is.
Bragging moment... this girl is not only sooo cute, but she is mostly a straight A student while participating in 3 sports...She is my favorite person in the whole world!!

It is refreshing to hear about young people who are intelligent and interested in athletics. What a lovely young lady.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #119239 by photobod

krohweder wrote: Thank you so much Chasrich! I try to tell her everyday how beautiful she is.

What a lovely thing to say about your daughter, I really hope you say it to her face although I think I already know you do, I have three grown up children and I am proud of them all, I have brought them up like my parents brought me up to have respect and work hard.
The photo of your daughter looks great to me but I can see what you mean, if you have photoshop try dodging the cheeks just a little bit at a time until you have what you want, zoom in so you have more control, its easier than you think.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #119278 by Maria21
Open the photo in PS & duplicate the layer

on the duplicated layer adjust the image saturation to reduce the redness in the cheeks.

add an adjustment layer & using a black brush paint the background area & the rest of your daughters clothing. (Be sure not to paint over other areas that shows her skin or it will look uneven.)
As you paint the black on the adjustment layer you should see the orig. darker image coming back. If you accidently expose to much of the original image simply switch the brush color to white & it will hide it again.

I have found this to be the quickest way to achieve the results you are looking for. I believe this close to the way that Shadow was explaining

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024