My first B&W Self Portrait.....

12 years 7 months ago #133932 by Shanna-Marie
Good grief....I'm sorry I posted this now..... :( Scotty, I was looking at the wall, it was pretty boring. I've got several straight on shots from that day, but I'm NOT sharing them-they look like crap. Besides, I'm fine with being a no name....goodnight all.

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago #133934 by Scotty

Shanna-Marie wrote: Good grief....I'm sorry I posted this now..... :( Scotty, I was looking at the wall, it was pretty boring. I've got several straight on shots from that day, but I'm NOT sharing them-they look like crap. Besides, I'm fine with being a no name....goodnight all.

The staring at the stove was a joke meant for you to laugh. It's a good first attempt. You gotta show those pretty eyes, it'll make the shot pop.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #133940 by robbie
Your state of mind is for all to see,faraway.Since you aren`t happy with it I know the next one will be much better in your eyes but we are seeing the other side of your 'avatar'.Nice self portrait'Fair Lady'.I still love ALL of your images.

12 years 7 months ago #133942 by Shanna-Marie
Can't sleep..... Scotty, I know you were and you Did make me laugh so thank you. I'm tempted to post my avitar pic but it's got distracting crap in the background too...BUT I'm looking at the camera...... what should I do? Probably go to sleep, someone ran over me with a truck today.

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

12 years 7 months ago #133946 by Scotty

Shanna-Marie wrote: Can't sleep..... Scotty, I know you were and you Did make me laugh so thank you. I'm tempted to post my avitar pic but it's got distracting crap in the background too...BUT I'm looking at the camera...... what should I do? Probably go to sleep, someone ran over me with a truck today.

lol relax. Photography is always a work in progress. Every shot I take I look at and realize there's a lot wrong with it and a lot I can change.

Portraits seem so simple but they're hard to master.

When you get photoshop you'll be able to selectively blur out the background and change contrasts and everything with layering. It sounds all hard but once you get the concept it's easy as pie. We'll help you out.

If you can't sleep....turn on something good on the TV. I'm putting in Season 2 of The Universe.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #133950 by McBeth Photography
Shanna, I admire your courage posting your first B&W attempt at self portraiture ... It's something that I have not done yet. I think that Scotty is right when he says, "You gotta show those pretty eyes, it'll make the shot pop." It's really good advice.

I hope that you continue to work on self portraits, it can be fun and challenging. Challenge is good for us, it helps us to learn also...were all in this together!

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago #134111 by Shanna-Marie
Thank you Robbie, I think we were typing at the same time cause I didn't see your post when I started typing last night.
Thank you Scotty & Barry, I have no doubt that I'm going to need lots of help with PS-you'll probably all end up wishing I'd stuck with Corel though. ;)

12 years 7 months ago #134131 by robbie

Shanna-Marie wrote: Thank you Robbie, I think we were typing at the same time cause I didn't see your post when I started typing last night.
Thank you Scotty & Barry, I have no doubt that I'm going to need lots of help with PS-you'll probably all end up wishing I'd stuck with Corel though. ;)

You are welcome Shanna,you will get all the help and more with PS.Get some plugins to ease the work flow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 7 months ago #134180 by Shanna-Marie
I'll be getting "Adobe Premiere Elements 9", can you suggest some plugins for that? :)

12 years 7 months ago #134201 by McBeth Photography

Shanna-Marie wrote: I'll be getting "Adobe Premiere Elements 9", can you suggest some plugins for that? :)

I still have the elements 7 setup, it'll do until after I get lightroom 3. If I had it to do over again I'd get Lightroom 3 BEFORE I get Elements.

I am glad that I have elements though and the Topaz bundle would be a great start to your preset collection. I am still trying to master all the options that topaz has too offer, It'll just take a little more time for me because of my busy life, lol. ;)

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago #134205 by MLKstudios
Since version 2, you can do "local" edits in Lr, so you may not need a second app. It does all I need.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #134212 by photobod
I always think it takes a brave person to do a self portrait so :judge: :judge: :judge: for that part, the background is defo distracting but hey I am too busy looking at how pretty you are to let that worry me.
On the subject of elements, I used elements 7 for many years and was very pleased with it, from there you can upgrade as you can afford it, yes we will be here to help with any queries, no probs there.
Lets see more of your pretty face please eyes front or off somewhere else works for me.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #134216 by butterflygirl921
i think you did great as a first attempt.....its up from here keep trying and practicing try different backgrounds see what works for you but overall you did good :judge: :thumbsup:

12 years 7 months ago #134258 by Joiemagic
:watching: That is a great shot Shanna... You done did good... :judge:

As for not looking at the camera... Most of my self portraits are that way, on purpose cause I was trying to make them as natural looking and spontanious as possible, and that was the best way for me to do that... At least I thought so...

Seeing this tells me, I shoud post some of my self portraits that I just mentioned. Did them a few years back. Gotta go pull them out...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #134319 by Shanna-Marie
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your kind words, advice & words of wisdom. I still have so much to learn in the photography world but I'm glad I'm here...there is definately an abundance of help available to me...and don't worry, I'll be asking. I think you should post some of yours too Joie. :)
And since some of you asked so nicely..... I did this one back in April, a little braver this time....

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024