I've been requested to shoot for a second go around

11 years 11 months ago #229793 by John37
Remember this baby I shot? They've asked me to shoot him again. I feel I've learned a lot in a couple of months (since the last shoot) and I want to make sure the things I learned come through in the next shoot. Looking at the photo below, what can you tell me that will yield even better results this time around?
I notice the focus is a little soft, and there is no real definition. Do you have any suggestions? I asked ahead of time what colors the baby would be wearing. It's red and white, most likely subdued (not like Santa).
Thanks

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229821 by Baydream
Very good shot. Watch that tall grass in the foreground. Good perspective on this one.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #229846 by KCook
I agree that the foreground needs tidying up. I would also try different lighting approaches for the face. Unless you have plenty of stands, don't forget to bring an assistant to handle the reflectors and scrims. More ideas -

digital-photography-school.com/3-tips-fo...s-in-bright-sunshine

enchantingkerala.org/digital-photography...modifiers-scrims.php

neilvn.com/tangents/2010/01/04/combining...h-and-ambient-light/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #229954 by John37
I went to the place we're going to shoot and did some pre-shots using my 'on-call' model. Here's what I came up with. I found some good spots. Granted, my model is 6, the subject is 8 months. But here's one of the locations I found. Is it too busy in the background?

Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #229963 by KCook
In my view the issue is more too distant than too busy. For a baby picture I would want to keep the environment pretty intimate. And again, the foreground is a bit much. Nicer lighting than the picture in the OP. Though I would be tempted to cut the direct sun more with a diffusion panel or skrim.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #229994 by John37
Here's another test shot from today. I'm mainly going for background and exposure here. I didn't try to capture a pose. I like the overall turn out. It's a good starting point.

j3 by DaJa Photographs , on Flickr

11 years 11 months ago #230014 by KCook
I agree, that exposure and lighting is right in the zone. Might add a little flash to perk up the eyes. Somehow I'm still uneasy about these woodsy environments for baby shots. But hey, if that's what the clients want ...

:thumbsup:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #230049 by boriqua latina
What matters most is how to place the subject in the photos... The composition and angles are extremely important in framing the baby, I recommend shade, get lower to the baby height , use a gray card if you have no lightmeter, then you create your portraits, this is where you have to be creative (your style)... Use continous shots, and make sure your memory card has plenty of room on for lots of shots as babies are unpredictable ... I love the tall green stalks in the background behind the baby in the first photo, the foreground reduce the grass as much as you can... Use flash if you happen to be in harsh light but I dont recommend using harsh light.. Compose the baby in the location with objects that are tasteful and colorful to the childs and viewers eye, this may include babies toys, the leaves and greenery...

11 years 11 months ago #230050 by orion
I agree with Adriana here, Adriana has given you lots to think about, the only thing i would possibly add would be...depending on how long you have the baby for, is a change of clothing, give a variety of shots, yes it may be hard for babies to pose thats where the toys and other items for the baby to play with and have an assistant to shake a rattle to get babys attention. I would take a white card/reflector think it would save using on flash and would give a more definition to the photo by bouncing some of the available light into the shadows/dark areas on the baby.

11 years 11 months ago #230157 by icepics
I do remember the first one, and I agree it seems soft - it looks like maybe the rim of the basket is more in focus than the little guy?? As others said, it would help for the setting to be at his level rather than the tall grass etc.

If he's going to be wearing red and white, the green and maybe blue or a bit of yellow could work together (I'm thinking jewel tones). Maybe the greenery could be a nice background; with their dark hair your boys look good I think in the blue they're wearing against the green background.

I'd keep an eye on the blanket etc., it's kind of distracting in that first photo (white color and bunched up) - maybe go with a color/pattern that works with what he's wearing, and watch that it stays put (yeah right, that'll happen!!) - keep checking it and rearranging as needed (unless he's at the age that he's not staying on a blanket anymore).

It might help to have the area ready and your camera set before you get this little guy into the scene, you may have to frame and compose efficiently to get the most out of the time while he's alert and having fun (or if he's at the age that he's on the move you might want to let him get a little of that out of his system, or catch photos of him on the move). I'd go with what the parents say he'd respond to (favorite toys, people's faces, adult making noises, etc.) When I did home visits for my job, I didn't expect young children to last even an hour session (part of my scheduled hour was for discussion w/the family etc.) so I'd be prepared and make the most of the time and take breaks as needed.

The first photo of your son is really nice, sharp and the color's good, and his facial expression is great - I think that's a keeper.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #231116 by Joiemagic
I think the second test shot is the best... He seems to be popping out because of the soft focus of the background. There is also no distraction in front of the subject which is good. The lighting is right on target as well. Keep it simple John.

In your original shot of the baby, it just seems to be flat. There is nothing there to bring some character tor the baby. Experiment with the lighting on the day of the shoot. I would have cropped in more on the shot as well as softening the background... Good luck and hope to see some to of the shots you get.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024