A Different Culture

5 years 2 months ago #630584 by Khelm
I'm studying the Chinese language (in China) and made a friend who wants to be a movie director.  He invited me to his village over the school break to document the making of his movie.  It's a movie of his people group the "Yi" people.  He is hoping to promote his culture while making movies.  It was a good trip as I was able to visit a small village where it's unlikely many foreigners have been.  Here are a couple photos I was able to capture.

Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X100T
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Captured: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 15:04pm

I wish I could of framed this photo a little better by not cutting the top of her head off but, unfortunately, it was a photo of opportunity and I had to react quickly.  

Aperture: f/6.4
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Captured: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 13:03pm

I wish I could of not put her feet so close to the bottom of the frame but I was laying on the ground and trying to get shots while they were filming a scene.  I was laying under the view of the camera filming.  Maybe burst mode would of helped?  She is the leading female actress and I was able to get some decent shots of her in between filming scenes.

Aperture: f/3.2
Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
Captured: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 13:36pm

This is one of the crew/cast who I got to pose for some photos for me.  This trip I had access to some actors and actresses who were willing to have their photos taken.  It helped that photography was my job for the ten days I was there.  This trip is the first time I've really tried portrait photography/shooting people as I generally don't like people in my photos unless doing street photography.

a woman in traditional Yi clothing during the filming of a scene.  It was getting dark and I had to up the ISO with f2.0 and it was shot handheld.  

Attachments:
5 years 2 months ago #630585 by Nikon Shooter
I do share the same fascination for the Chinese people and
history but at the same time a real discomfort that I cannot
explain or justify… xenophobia? This work of yours brings ho-
pe and builds bridges. Thanks for sharing! :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #630593 by NewavaMike
WOW !!  

Your pictures are cool, and really good, and yes of course you will not crop tops of heads and bottoms of feet one day.  Your skill will only increase until a perfect frame becomes automatic in you. What I think is so amazing is that you went there on this trip, somehow !!  You got to be a part of it !!  What a fantastic opportunity !! You are highly favored I think !! 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #630637 by Stephen Graham
So different. It's learning! 

5 years 2 months ago #630674 by Sara Miles
These are good. Very unique! 

5 years 2 months ago #630823 by Aaron Rogers
Beautiful people! Nicely done! 

5 years 2 months ago #630991 by Kira Minori
Interesting shots! I like the 1st one the most. 

5 years 2 months ago #631076 by Pitter
A movie set in a remote Chinese village. You must have been counting your blessings.

5 years 2 months ago #631090 by Khelm
Nikon Shooter... Discomfort vs dislike are two different things.  Something that is unfamiliar will always be uncomfortable but that doesn't mean you do not like it so I am not sure that it's xenophobia.  Thanks for your thoughts.  

This was a low-budget indie film but it was still an amazing experience in a rural, interesting, beautiful location.  Thanks everyone for your comments.

It was a lot of fun practicing a documentary style of photography.   I tried to get interesting things as they happened for storytelling and for memories the cast and crew can keep.  You take hundreds of photos and are only happy with maybe 10... it's a little frustrating.  Although, my "happy with" is probably much different than the rest of the cast and crew's "happy with"

5 years 2 months ago #631168 by Monica Martinez
Nice shot! Very unique!

5 years 2 months ago #631474 by Breanna Ellington
Good nice people! well done! 

5 years 2 months ago #631902 by Eshan Rachit
I especially like the first shot. The second shot is like a scene in the movies. Nice! 

5 years 2 months ago #631917 by GaryA
These are very nice.  #1 is my fave ... but I'd crop the top a bit to my it look intentional.  While we are all different and some of us quite different .., we are all still people with more tangibles and intangibles to bind us ... than to separate us.  Thank you for sharing, please post more.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #631940 by Khelm
Thanks @GaryA.  I posted a few photos from another opportunity I had dealing with Chinese New Year also known as the Lunar New Year because other cultures celebrate it as well.

Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 14:50pm

Aperture: f/2.0
Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
Captured: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 16:06pm

ISO: 400
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 16:23pm

Attachments:
5 years 2 months ago #632113 by GaryA
I'm wondering about the traditional/colorful clothing.  Is that their daily wear ... or are they wearing the clothing for the cameras? In the second photo of the second set, the guy on the left seems to to wearing everyday clothes, while the person on the right is wearing traditional/ceremonial clothing.  (Assuming the guy on the left is a local and not part of the camera crew.)  Tell us of difficulties and surprises rising from this assignment/job/shoot.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024