Faces Are Not Required

2 years 7 months ago #613133 by garyrhook
Got this in an email today:

www.ai-ap.com/publications/article/24072...et-the-winner-z.html

The winning photo shows someone repairing a fishing net, and the face isn't visible.

Huh.

I bring this up because NewavaMike posted an image of a neighbor gardening, and there were comments that a face was required.

I'm here to state unequivocally that that is not true. Clearly it's
possible to win an international photo competition with an image that
contains people and no faces.

What I am not saying is that other elements of an image aren't important. Quite the contrary. But to
focus on a single thing is, I believe, somewhat problematic. Especially
when it's pretty easy to refute said claim.  Like here.

In any event, the winning images are beautiful, and I thought worth sharing.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 years 7 months ago #613136 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: I bring this up because NewavaMike posted an image of a neighbor gardening, and there were comments that a face was required.


In the case of my comment, it was applying to Mike's picture only at
that moment, on that photo.

Mike's picture has none (yet) of the many visual pleasures your posted
linked picture has to offer. So many that the scene does not document
but expresses, inspires, reveal. A face is not required because the viewer
is overwhelmed by textures, shades, tonalities etc that are so rich and
convincing that the documentation of the person is surely not required.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 years 7 months ago #613146 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I bring this up because NewavaMike posted an image of a neighbor gardening, and there were comments that a face was required.


In the case of my comment, it was applying to Mike's picture only at
that moment, on that photo.

Mike's picture has none (yet) of the many visual pleasures your posted
linked picture has to offer. So many that the scene does not document
but expresses, inspires, reveal. A face is not required because the viewer
is overwhelmed by textures, shades, tonalities etc that are so rich and
convincing that the documentation of the person is surely not required.


I'm going to disagree with that assertion.

I think that the referenced (winning) image was more successful at telling its story. I believe that effective commentary is goes deep in evaluating effectiveness.

The problem is that what were offered as (ostensibly) critiques (of Mike's image) came across as nothing of the sort ("nothing special"?). I found them unhelpful, unencouraging, and lacking in scope in either a micro, macro, or meta perspective.

And frankly, that really bothers me. Quite a bit. Not that anyone cares.

My experience (limited though it may be) is that this community (photography, not just PT) encourages (for the most part) better. And when I see an epic failure (such as how I think this instance came across) I'm going to express my opinion about it.

So: in my opinion some of the posted critiques of Mike's image could have been handled with far more grace and helpfulness. Instead of emphasis on a single aspect that was, in my opinion, relatively minor. In my opinion the sandwich approach is always a good idea, if only to force a commentor to think about what they're trying to say.  Or to keep quiet.

Def: "commentor": one who comments. Apparently it's not really a word.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #613147 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: So: in my opinion some of the posted critiques of Mike's image could have been handled with far more grace…

I surely have none of your skills in your language. :(
I had some PMs with Mike and the contact was easy and pleasant. I felt
like he understood what I meant even with my language difficulties.

garyrhook wrote: Def: "commentor": one who comments. Apparently it's not really a word.

Commentator maybe?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 years 6 months ago #617622 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Def: "commentor": one who comments. Apparently it's not really a word.

Commentator maybe?


Works for me.

Apologies for being a grammar cop. Or perhaps "flic de la grammaire" according to babelfish.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 years 6 months ago #621634 by NewavaMike
I appreciate both of your inputs (and everyone else's too) about my "gardener" shot.  
It hardly compares to the winner of that contest, but I understand your point and appreciate  you sharing the link with my shot in mind Gary.  As limited as my experience in photography is, I find that critique, especially by photographers whom I respect, like NS and yourself...... (and a great number of others around here: ( I really am a small fish)  is wonderful !  It means someone actually looked at my picture and had a thought about it.  That's pretty cool.  NS didn't like that the neighbors face did not show.  To me, that only meant that he would have liked to see her face in the image.  It would have made a better connection with him as an outsider to the scene.  

Yourself and others liked it just as it was. 

Conclusion:  Keep taking pictures !!  :) 


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

802.3K

205K

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X70 review, we'll look at the specs and features, pros and cons, pricing, and more of this compact, well-equipped camera.

Jun 14, 2021

The Nikon D700 is pretty long in the tooth now, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't offer great specs and features for some photographers in 2021.

Jun 14, 2021

The Canon EOS M6 is four years old and has since been replaced with the M6 Mark II. But it's still a solid camera, particularly for beginners and vloggers.

Jun 08, 2021

The Canon EOS 60D is more than a decade old, but it still has plenty of punch left that makes it a solid and inexpensive camera for today's photographers.

Jun 07, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're an avid wildlife or sports photographer, the Explorer Lens Quiver from Holdfast Gear might be the perfect bag for you.

Jun 17, 2021

There's a lot of photography gear you might invest in, some of which might initially be overlooked. Find some "hidden" gems in this list of must-have gear.

Jun 15, 2021

Use these simple photography business tips to improve your interactions with your clients and win their ongoing business.

Jun 15, 2021

In this FujiFilm X70 review, we'll look at the specs and features, pros and cons, pricing, and more of this compact, well-equipped camera.

Jun 14, 2021

Photo restoration serves a very important purpose in allowing us to preserve memories of days gone by - but that's just one reason why restoration is critical.

Jun 14, 2021

The Nikon D700 is pretty long in the tooth now, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't offer great specs and features for some photographers in 2021.

Jun 14, 2021

While the quality of the images you take is important, so too is the customer experience you give your photography clients. Get some tips on how to improve that experience in this guide.

Jun 14, 2021

Learning how to work remotely as a photographer requires a commitment to being organized, only taking the gear you need, and staying in touch with clients.

Jun 11, 2021