Post production on a bad shot....

12 years 11 months ago #53590 by chasrich
I was looking for a challenge in Paint Shop Pro X2. I wanted to find a image that I would normally toss out and see what kind of recovery I could pull off.

It was a great exercise and my skills seem to be improving. The challenge here is to do a before and after shot of a marginal photo. Demonstrate your skills and imagination.

Enjoy!

I would appreciate your comments on my effort.. Here is my result...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #53679 by photobod
You have done a great job there Charles well impressed, will look for soething to post soon

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #53705 by robbie
Very nice job,I wouldn`t even try that in Photoshop without my Nik plugins,that should tell you of my limited Photoshop skills.Ever tried Viveza 2,my favorite visible light plugin.
Maybe you should start a 'running thread' to show what`s possible.:goodpost:

12 years 11 months ago #53714 by Baydream
Excellent job. Might inspire me to crack open my X3 and try. :judge:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #53730 by DestinDave
Nice job Charles... the blown-out water on top is still distracting though... consider a darker texture overlay of some sort (on another layer) to tone that down.. then you would mask (or erase) away the added layer over the bottom area and the bird..
Do you mind if I take a screenshot of your image and have a go?

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #54200 by chasrich
Thank you Dave...

I started to add to my original post that if you have never taken a marginally bad photo (not too freaking likely) fell free to borrow mine. I'd be curious to see where my shot comings lie and to learn a few new techniques. Like I mentioned in my first post: "The challenge here is to do a before and after shot of a marginal photo. Demonstrate your skills and imagination".

Should I post my adjustments after the crop?

Pease help yourself... If you like I can email you the high res image of the first photo. You would have a more even footing. Shall we bet a Hot Dog???:rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #54207 by DestinDave
Ahhhhh. gotcha... Well, I take "marginal" photographs all too often but I never delete any of them.. never know when something will come to mind and I might be able to use part or all of one to create something that never happened... for instance - this old tree was hit by lightning evidently but my shot was a little washed out..

By adding several layers of texture images, changing the blend modes to Overlay and Soft Light, and playing with Hue, Saturation, Levels, etc... I came up with the following - which I sold almost immediately as a 15x30 print...

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #54209 by DestinDave
And here's a quick workover of your image just to show how adding and blending multiple layers can change a photo... I also masked the layers away from the bird and the water on the bottom and then bumped saturation and hue levels, and

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #54231 by photobod

DestinDave wrote: Ahhhhh. gotcha... Well, I take "marginal" photographs all too often but I never delete any of them.. never know when something will come to mind and I might be able to use part or all of one to create something that never happened... for instance - this old tree was hit by lightning evidently but my shot was a little washed out..

By adding several layers of texture images, changing the blend modes to Overlay and Soft Light, and playing with Hue, Saturation, Levels, etc... I came up with the following - which I sold almost immediately as a 15x30 print...

great work :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: DestinDave
12 years 11 months ago #54232 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote: Ahhhhh. gotcha... Well, I take "marginal" photographs all too often but I never delete any of them.. never know when something will come to mind and I might be able to use part or all of one to create something that never happened... for instance - this old tree was hit by lightning evidently but my shot was a little washed out..

Great job. Great shot even!

12 years 11 months ago #54234 by Baydream
Well done, Dave.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #54239 by photobod
Nothing dramatic from me just a bit of burning and dodging

32a.jpg

darned jpeg wont come up

www.dcimages.org.uk

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #54240 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote: And here's a quick workover of your image just to show how adding and blending multiple layers can change a photo... I also masked the layers away from the bird and the water on the bottom and then bumped saturation and hue levels, and

I went a little different way. I cloned over some of the green water for the top portion. I then set the brightness down a bunch on a copy then cloned the bird in on top of it. - OK that might be backwards but you get the idea. I tried a different crop to exploit the way the post would look in this thread. I bumped up the reflection just a tad.

Should I resubmit this in the contest now? of course I will..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #54243 by DestinDave
Absolutely, you should resubmit that - it's a great save!! :judge:
I think I owe you a Hot Dog... how about a Coney? :rofl: :cheers:

And, Thanks David, Charles, John for the comments.. :cheers:

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #54268 by robbie

Beautifully done Dave,very nice.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024