"If Only"

12 years 10 months ago #101963 by chasrich
I takes a soft touch to "fix" a shot without messing it up. I can tell this ain't Dave's first rodeo. :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: DestinDave
12 years 10 months ago #101967 by The Time Capturer
I don't mind at all. It's really opening my eyes to the possibilities. I played a bit with Photoshop but the video tutorials I saw back then made processes that I thought would be simple, seem multistep and difficult. I s'pose it's like any other program ... practice, practice, practice.

The only fix that would be easy for me would be removing the tree branch from his face. From his hair? Yes, but more work. You've done a great job of it.

My main issue with sharpening is, if there's any noise in the image, it gets exaggerated, and I believe the original of this does have it.

Thanks again for the time you devoted to this. It is greatly appreciated.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #101971 by The Time Capturer

chasrich wrote: I takes a soft touch to "fix" a shot without messing it up. I can tell this ain't Dave's first rodeo. :judge:

I agree. Although I hear it all the time, I don't even know what dodging is. :(

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #102129 by cod

The Time Capturer wrote: My main issue with sharpening is, if there's any noise in the image, it gets exaggerated, and I believe the original of this does have it.

That's where using layers in Photoshop can really help. Create a sharpened layer under or over the original and use a mask to just let key sharpened features, such as eyes, hair, mouth, etc show through, leaving the skin smoother and background more blurred. There are lots of other different ways of selectively sharpening or smoothing parts of the image. It can be very time consuming though.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 10 months ago #102151 by chasrich

The Time Capturer wrote:

chasrich wrote: I takes a soft touch to "fix" a shot without messing it up. I can tell this ain't Dave's first rodeo. :judge:

I agree. Although I hear it all the time, I don't even know what dodging is. :(

Dodge is the exact opposite of Burn. Where burn darkens an area, dodge lightens it. The trick is to use a soft almost transparent brush and to remember Ctrl+Z removes whatever you just did. With use and practice it becomes as simple as finger painting.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #102179 by Graflex 4x5
I know what you're going through with the FM. And it's the perfect excuse to use when you want to slow down or take a seat and look around. You'll be surprised at how much more you'll notice ... and how much better your candids will become.

Relax .... stress is your enemy.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 10 months ago #102183 by DestinDave
As with everything Photoshop, there are many ways to do the same things.. here's one technique for dodging and burning that is non-destructive and allows later re-working if desired...

Tutorial

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #102323 by The Time Capturer
You mean dodging has nothing to do with making a hasty retreat? :)

Thanks Charles ... didn't know what burning was either. Wow, with all the editing I've done, you'd think I'd at least know the terms.

Thanks also to Graflex 4x5 for understanding my illness. Unfortunately, the kids don't always let me relax ... go, go, go. I like it when they're swimming in the lake because when I get tired, I can wade back to shore and sit down. It's not my favourite shooting position because I need to be out there with them but, at least I can still capture some shots. I love having a zoom lens.

Thanks to DestinDave as well. I think, within the next few days, I'll be installing Photoshop again and play around a little. With all the new tutorials available, as well as all the information on this site (and in this thread), maybe something will stick this time.

Thank you one and all!!!

12 years 10 months ago #102421 by mj~shutterbugg
I agree with everyone about the Original- it is a true moment in time that you have- I have one of my son and he's all red, horrid portrait technically but I love his face. I am learning portraiture so take my advice for what it's worth. :)

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #103644 by John Landolfi
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nucely done. Dave! Goes to show that hands-on is better than plug-in:rofl:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DestinDave

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024