"If Only"

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #101141 by The Time Capturer

If only this image was in sharp focus...

If only the tree branch wasn't hanging down over his face...

If only...

This image was taken early on in my "kid pix" career. I had just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and, not knowing how bad it was going to get, I felt the need to get every image possible while I could still function. I was following the boys through the woods, trying to keep up, when Zack unexpectedly stopped and looked at me with such a natural expression. It was a moment I had to capture and, in my haste, I missed the focus. Of course, as soon as he heard the camera noise, he knew I had taken the picture, and he continued on, so I never got a second chance.

I have learned patience since then and I now know that I don't have to rush to capture every once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Some day, somewhere, another one will present itself. Even still, I love this shot and, even though I will never use this image (other than now), I will always keep it for it's sentimental value.

Has anyone else missed an opportunity due to haste?

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #101181 by Photo Mojo
I like the image, the branch and few touch ups would be a slam dunk in Photoshop :thumbsup:

But to answer you question, yes I have been there and done that!

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #101185 by Dori
I agree, that photo does have a lot of potential!!!

Yes, too many times to count.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #101193 by Henry Peach
I think this is a glass half full or half empty situation. There are rarely perfect photos. A lot of things can be a little bit wrong with the way the photographer does something, or the subject, or just the way the world lines up in a photograph.

You mention the natural expression. That still comes through strongly. Would being able to count his eyelashes really make this photo better? Be in sharp focus is a rule most of us find difficult to break, but there is precedence in the history of photography for softness, particularly in portraiture. Look to the early portraits of Edward Steichen, and Gertrude Kasebier.

Blocking the eye the branch would be a killer. But it's not. The eyes pull enough attention; once I see them I don't see the branch.

You love the shot. Printing is cheap. There will be flawed shots worth printing and looking at.
12 years 9 months ago #101207 by DestinDave
This is a really nice spur of the moment capture.. don't give up on it though - that branch can be removed from his face and hair and a little sharpening & brightening on his eyes and lips will give it a nice, dreamy kind of "soft focus".. Do you use Photoshop?

And, yes.. I've missed plenty of shots because I just snapped without thinking or checking.. haste makes waste.

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #101209 by Rigby
I like the picture. I think it's pretty good. Don't be too hard on yourself. The picture isn't completely messed up. It's easy to see what the subject is and I love the expression on his face. You were able to focus on him...not the tree on the right side. I think you did a good job.

12 years 9 months ago #101303 by photobod
You have a keeper there, its a moment that will never happen like that again, who cares about focus and branches, I look at this photo and think "yeah thats nice", so dont be hard on yourself its a family moment that you can look back on and immediately it will take you back to that time.
yes you could photoshop it but why its a moment in time.
lost count of the opportunities missed or screwed up but hey life goes on.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #101451 by John Landolfi
:agree: with the comments above. It is the connection with the subject I try to achieve when attempting portraits, whether for myself or a client. And you have it here. I agree with Henry that the face trumps the rest. But I would suggest that a simple slight blur and darkening of the background would give the image the added presence that crackling sharp focus sometimes provides.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #101591 by icepics
Still a nice portrait. Sometimes when you just go for it and don't think about it so much you get a great picture and sometimes not so much, still worth giving it a shot.

Just pretend you meant for it to have a softer look LOL! But no, really, it's still good, and if you enjoy having the picture that's sometimes what's important.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #101599 by Dori
I keep coming back to this shot, I love it! You captured a moment!:thumbsup:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #101601 by The Time Capturer
Thank you so much everyone.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #101667 by cod
If you use Photoshop or Lightroom for photo editing then the InFocus plugin from Topaz Labs might help. I did a quick test using a poor quality screen capture of your larger image and there is a definte improvement, quite noticeable around the hair and eyes in particular. Some time spent with this plugin could improve the apparent sharpness of the image. A comparison of the head is given below. I don't know how evident the difference will be here. Bear in mind that this is a low quality jpeg of a screen capture.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #101677 by chasrich
:judge: I like the original shot just fine. I like the sharper image even more. The eyes are the subject here and they seem very attractive.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #101811 by The Time Capturer

cod wrote: If you use Photoshop or Lightroom for photo editing then the InFocus plugin from Topaz Labs might help. I did a quick test using a poor quality screen capture of your larger image and there is a definte improvement, quite noticeable around the hair and eyes in particular. Some time spent with this plugin could improve the apparent sharpness of the image. A comparison of the head is given below. I don't know how evident the difference will be here. Bear in mind that this is a low quality jpeg of a screen capture.

Wow, thank you "cod." I have Photoshop but it is too complicated for me. The more I read about its potential by others using it, the more I think I should learn how to use it.

Thank you for putting forth the effort to show me this. :thumbsup:

12 years 9 months ago #101955 by DestinDave
There are plenty tutorial videos on Photoshop - just Google whatever action you want to accomplish and you'll probably find something.. I played about a bit with the Patch and Clone tools and also the Dodge, Burn, and Brush tools.. the hair obviously needs a bit more work but the face turned out nicely considering it's from a low-res screenshot.. A little sharpening, brightening of his eyes, and a boost in saturation.. I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty of doing this...

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024