Photographing birds a lot tougher then it looks!!

12 years 10 months ago #101379 by QZG Dan
Yesterday I went out to photograph some birds in the woods, but when I got to the spot where the birds were, they all flew away. So I sat there, hoping they would come back, no chance. So, anyone that reguarly photographs birds what is your secret!! I cant seem to ever get close enough without scaring them off.

12 years 10 months ago #101407 by Rigby
Yup, it's not as easy as point and shoot. :rofl: Get up really early in the morning, when the birds are out feeding. Be very quiet. Be patient. Put out bird seed if you wish.

12 years 10 months ago #101427 by robbie

QZG Dan wrote: Yesterday I went out to photograph some birds in the woods, but when I got to the spot where the birds were, they all flew away. So I sat there, hoping they would come back, no chance. So, anyone that reguarly photographs birds what is your secret!! I cant seem to ever get close enough without scaring them off.

Man you cracking me up:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry couldn`t help it!!
You need at least a 300mm lens,you have to sneak up on the birds out of their sight,try and get some shots as you aproach even if not ideal.Use the trees as shield to get close.That`s the easy part,camera setup is important,I uses this ......
Aperture Priority because you know what you want,no program mode..
ISO 400 @F8...EV compensation...minus ev to prevent blowing out the 'whites',plus ev to open the shadows but be careful of using the 'plus ev' in sunshine on dark birds.
F8 can be bigger depending on the light and whether the bird is flying.
Continious Focus is a must because even if the bird is still,a slight movement can throw off the focus when you are focusing on the eye,look for the catchlights to appear and blast away.
In difficult lighting use 'bracketing' and shoot in Raw.
Hope this helps.

12 years 10 months ago #101429 by robbie

Rigby wrote: Yup, it's not as easy as point and shoot. :rofl: Get up really early in the morning, when the birds are out feeding. Be very quiet. Be patient. Put out bird seed if you wish.

You too giving the man JOKES!!Not very nice:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I started mine before you!

12 years 10 months ago #101487 by TheNissanMan
Never had any joy myself bar the ducks, herons and swans that my folks feed so regularly that you struggle to shoot with a 50mm they're to close :lol:

They've got so bad that in the hot weather they'll get my father to shower them with the hose to cool them down and unfortunately I'm not joking!

12 years 10 months ago #101541 by Baydream
I set my camera on the tripod and pre-focus on a feeder using aperture priority. I then use a radio remote release (ZapShot for Canon in my case) and move well away from the feeder (even inside). After a few clicks, the birds get used to the shutter noise. I have used the kit lens, my 50 prime and my 70-300 (for more "modest" birds). I have finches, chickadees, juncos, wrens, hummingbirds and more.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #101847 by Fitch

Baydream wrote: I set my camera on the tripod and pre-focus on a feeder using aperture priority. I then use a radio remote release (ZapShot for Canon in my case) and move well away from the feeder (even inside). After a few clicks, the birds get used to the shutter noise. I have used the kit lens, my 50 prime and my 70-300 (for more "modest" birds). I have finches, chickadees, juncos, wrens, hummingbirds and more.

Love it, did you set some bird feed on your camera?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #101851 by The Time Capturer

Fitch wrote:

Baydream wrote: I set my camera on the tripod and pre-focus on a feeder using aperture priority. I then use a radio remote release (ZapShot for Canon in my case) and move well away from the feeder (even inside). After a few clicks, the birds get used to the shutter noise. I have used the kit lens, my 50 prime and my 70-300 (for more "modest" birds). I have finches, chickadees, juncos, wrens, hummingbirds and more.

I love shots like these. The coolest one was from National Geographic, I think. The bird was standing on the lens hood, looking down into the lens.

Great capture, Baydream...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #101859 by Vahrenkamp
The bird looking down the lens would be a fun photo to see if you have it :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #101861 by The Time Capturer

Vahrenkamp wrote: The bird looking down the lens would be a fun photo to see if you have it :thumbsup:

I will look for it.

Meanwhile, here's one of mine:

Tripod + wireless release + seed mix = opportunity...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #101875 by The Time Capturer

Vahrenkamp wrote: The bird looking down the lens would be a fun photo to see if you have it :thumbsup:

I can't find the image I'm thinking of. I saw it many years ago so it may have been in a magazine and hasn't made it to the net. I did find a similar one though, but it's not as good as the one I remember:

www.insteadoftv.com/83/christmas-bird-count/

12 years 10 months ago #101959 by effron
Perched birds, get a blind, telephoto lens, set out bait and wait. Now birds in flight is a whole different story............

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #102013 by Baydream

Fitch wrote:

No. The Chickadees just used the camera and tripod as a perch to watch the feeders.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102015 by Baydream

effron wrote: Perched birds, get a blind, telephoto lens, set out bait and wait. Now birds in flight is a whole different story............

Good shot. :judge:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102289 by ShadowWalker

effron wrote: Perched birds, get a blind, telephoto lens, set out bait and wait. Now birds in flight is a whole different story............

:agree: especially to get them sharp! Cool capture

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024