Help please with blown out skies

12 years 10 months ago #103104 by transform567
My biggest issue when photographing during the day is getting this blown out sky. How can I overcome this and still get the subject properly exposed? I know my camera can't meter both the sky and the subject so can I do this in post processing?

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #103116 by Baydream
Not if you have no data to work with. Look at your histogram. If there is a stack on the right side, there is no data to bring back.
A Graduated ND filter will help a great deal.
www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...tral-density-filters
Also, it is better to expose for the bright area (sky) because then there is often data in the darker areas unless they are completely "black" (stacked on the left side of the histogram.

You can also use bracketing and combine your shots in PP.
www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...cketing-aeb-function

A polarizing filter may also help reduce the glare and enhance the sky. "Search" the forums for info on this.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103122 by transform567
So when in doubt I should expose for the bright area...ie: the sky.

I guess I should also buy some filters. Thanks.

Wait, I just thought of it...if I expose for the sky...wouldn't my subject be too dark? Although I guess that would depend on the amount of light that is falling on the subject correct?

12 years 10 months ago #103126 by ilder

transform567 wrote: So when in doubt I should expose for the bright area...ie: the sky.

I guess I should also buy some filters. Thanks.

Wait, I just thought of it...if I expose for the sky...wouldn't my subject be too dark? Although I guess that would depend on the amount of light that is falling on the subject correct?

Use a flash if your subject comes up too dark.

12 years 10 months ago #103128 by chasrich
:agree: :goodpost:

There are some really old guidelines that tell you to put the sun behind you. Shooting into the sun puts the subject in shadow often times and you are dealing with both refracted light as well as reflected.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #103138 by transform567

chasrich wrote: :agree: :goodpost:

There are some really old guidelines that tell you to put the sun behind you. Shooting into the sun puts the subject in shadow often times and you are dealing with both refracted light as well as reflected.

Even if the sun behind me, if it's still high in the sky, wouldn't the sky still be blown out? (if I don't expose for the sky)

12 years 10 months ago #103142 by Nikonjan

That is what I was thinking. The sun behind you is best if you include the sky. And ND filters help and don't add a color to it.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #103146 by chasrich
It will be less bright. The graduated ND filter can cut down on the exposure in upper half of the frame. That would help.

Why can't your camera measure the sky? Most digi cameras have more than one way to measure exposure. Try measuring the sky as well as the subject then split the difference. Mostly go experiment and see what works best in lots of different conditions.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #103148 by transform567

Nikonjan wrote:

That is what I was thinking. The sun behind you is best if you include the sky. And ND filters help and don't add a color to it.

What filters add color?....besides the typical color filters like red or green. I mean does a polarizing filter add color?

12 years 10 months ago #103152 by chasrich
Here is an extreme example of shooting into the sun...

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #103252 by Screamin Scott
Of course you can always "clone" in a sky from another shot...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103296 by Baydream

transform567 wrote:

Nikonjan wrote:

What filters add color?....besides the typical color filters like red or green. I mean does a polarizing filter add color?

The polarizer does not "add color" but reduces glare.
I have both a grey and a blue ND Grad filter.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103326 by robbie
Shoot Raw,use centerweight metering exposing for the foreground.Set your camera for 5 steps bracketing until you can gauge the -ev setting.The amount of -ev is dependant of the sky[clouds] brightness,start at -1ev,with the 5 or 7 step brackets at .3 you should get pretty close to the correct exposure.If the sky is blown your Raw converter will correct it,the foreground might be dark which can
be easily correct.I uses this technique shooting cloud filled landscapes in hot sun plus it`s the same for those white birds.
Hope this helps

12 years 10 months ago #103356 by robbie
Here is an eg...
original file ...untouch...

exposure compensation and highlight protection.....

shadow protection.....

That`s the beauty of Raw,this was done in Nikon ViewNX2 which is free,I think it will work only for Nikon images.

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #103436 by ilh2009ky
From my perspective, you have three choices:

1) As mentioned above, use a half gradient neutral density filter;

2) Assuming you are shooting RAW, within the RAW converter first process the image focusing on the highlights (don't worry if the shadows are black with no detail); then save the image as a TIFF file. Second, process the image focusing on the shadows (don't worry if the sky is blown out and has no detail); save as a TIFF file. Then, combine the two TIFF images in Photoshop using layers and masking.

3) Shoot the image as HDR and process using HDR software (Photomatix Pro, HDR Efex Pro, HDR Darkroom, among others). For an easy way to tell when you have a high dynamic range or high contrast scene and thus need to shoot as an HDR image, use the following: if you are shooting into the sun, its high contrast and use HDR; if the sun is behind you, you don't need to use HDR; if the sun is on your side, you can shoot it either way. This is a rough rule of thumb which I use and have been pleased with the results. One last note, I personally do not care for burn out spots which can occur when shoting directly into the sun; rather, I always try to use clouds, mountains, plants, etc. to block the full sun. Clouds are my first choice. Other photographers have no problem with sun burnout and I've seen many great pro and amateur images with it.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024