Need some help with my Nikon D80 and the mirror not locking up for cleaning the sensor?

12 years 10 months ago #103762 by Gabriel Photos
I must be missing the boat on this one. I have been trying to get my mirror to lock up and all it keeps saying when I try to highlight mirror lock up, it says "this option is not available with current settings"??

Now I believe I have checked just about every setting? I need some help please!

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #103772 by Nikonjan
Is your battery fully charged? I know they won't lock up if it isn't. I sold my D80 and have a D300 but just checked mine and it was highlighted and worked.

Did you check your manual?

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #103874 by Gabriel Photos
Battery is fully charged, and yes the manual wasn't much help :(

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103882 by Tuscany
Is your camera in manual mode?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103942 by MLKstudios
A work around is to put the camera in Manual exposure mode, set the shutter speed to 30 seconds (30"). Remove the lens and each "click" gives you another 30 seconds to clean it.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #104154 by Joves
Or you can put it in Bulb and hold the shutter down and clean it. Just dont let your finger off the button or you could damage your shutter.

12 years 10 months ago #104408 by Kitzmiller
Why would you need to lock up the mirror to clean the sensor? I have never cleaned mine so this a news to me. What exactly are you cleaning it with?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104426 by photobod

Kitzmiller wrote: Why would you need to lock up the mirror to clean the sensor? I have never cleaned mine so this a news to me. What exactly are you cleaning it with?[/quo

The sensor is behind the mirror therefore the mirror needs to be locked up to clean it, only clean it if you are confident, only clean it with a proper sensor cleaning kit and only clean it after watching a video on the subject, google the subject and there is a wealth of info out there, oh also dont clean it if it doesnt need cleaning.
I dont like the idea of setting the lock up for 30 seconds, thats a very short time and if you are concentrating on cleaning the sensor you could forget, then you have a costly repair in hand, the bulb setting is also a dodgy one, it only takes one slip and hey presto costly repair appears again.
In this case if it wont lock up even with a full battery send it in to the experts for cleaning.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #104472 by MLKstudios
photobod, I agree for wet cleaning. But for a quick PUFF with a dust blower the 30" trick works well.

It's all I ever do.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #104478 by DestinDave

MLKstudios wrote: photobod, I agree for wet cleaning. But for a quick PUFF with a dust blower the 30" trick works well.

It's all I ever do.

A manual dust blower, not the pressurized canned air type!!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #105108 by Superman

DestinDave wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: photobod, I agree for wet cleaning. But for a quick PUFF with a dust blower the 30" trick works well.

It's all I ever do.

A manual dust blower, not the pressurized canned air type!!

:agree: Good reminder and post

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #105274 by photobod

It's all I ever do.

Yup I can agree with you there Matthew :agree: :agree: :agree:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #105722 by Gabriel Photos
I'm going to try this when I get home later. Thanks everyone for the help. :beerbang:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024