What's the point of a external light meter?

12 years 10 months ago #104422 by Raymond II
So if the camera's have one built in, why would you need additional one? I was at a park yesterday and someone had one. Honestly he was taking photos with the aid of this light meter, and the photos I took straight from the camera didn't look much different. So why?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104432 by Henry Peach
There are different kinds of light meters. Reflective meters, like the ones in cameras, measure the light reflecting off the subject. The problem with this is that they are affected by subject tone. On it's own a reflective meter will overexpose dark subjects/scenes and underexpose bright subjects/scenes. The photographer has to consider subject tonality, and adjust exposure accordingly.

Incident meters measure the light falling on them. They are used by taking a reading in the same light as the subject. They are not affected by subject tonality.

I used to carry a hand held meter because most of the cameras I used didn't have built in meters, but since switching to shooting DSLRs it's mostly been sitting on the shelf. My hand held meter does have some features that are different than my in-camera meters, but nothing that I can't live without in most situations, if it means I don't have to carry another piece of gear.

People have many different reasons for tool selection. Maybe he's used to using hand held meters? Maybe he just wanted to buy some new gear?
12 years 10 months ago #104456 by McBeth Photography
I use a hand-held meter to get my exposure value when using non-metering lenses on my Nikon D70, just because the lens won't meter on you camera body doesn't mean the lens won't work. I don't meter every shot unless the subject tone or ambient light changes. As Henry said, "The photographer has to consider subject tonality, and adjust exposure accordingly."

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #104556 by John Landolfi
I find a spotmeter useful when working out an sequence of exposures for an HDR composite. It seems easier to move around than the DSLR itself, and tne readout is more convenient to read..

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104694 by Rob pix4u2
I like my hand held meter for certain situations and to sometimes confirm what I am thinking as far as changes to exposure, like the advice of an old friend

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #104772 by Raymond II
Do you guys feel that sometimes the camera's meter can do just as good job as the hand held meter?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #104836 by Rob pix4u2
in a word NO- I don't trust the camera meter 100%, I tend to trust 40+ years of experience more

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #105070 by Henry Peach

Raymond II wrote: Do you guys feel that sometimes the camera's meter can do just as good job as the hand held meter?

My in-camera meter measures for middle gray. My hand held meter measures for middle gray. They may have different ways of being used, or different features, but basically they do the same simple thing.
12 years 10 months ago #105078 by MLKstudios
HP is 100% correct. Your meter isn't making mistakes. However, you may be interpreting the information incorrectly. It takes some time to learn the tools of photography.

Learning how to meter correctly is but one area, and every pro will develop their own metering style (or use more than one metering method, depending on the situation).

An 18% gray card is THE best tool to learn how your meter works.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #105084 by Henry Peach
I don't use light meters much anymore. The histogram tells me a lot more information. It doesn't take me any longer to push a button on the camera and read the display as it does to push the button on a meter and read the display.
12 years 10 months ago #105098 by MLKstudios
I agree with HP. The histogram has become the Zone System tool for digital exposures. But, I first cover the 18% reflectance standard that ALL exposure meters are based on (it should be your starting point).

Later, you can add the Expose To The Right (ETTR) digital technique using the histogram to your photo tool kit. But, like the Zone System, you need to know how to read one correctly. For example, with a bright light behind, you can expect a blown out area to make a "good" exposure.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #105770 by Superman

Henry Peach wrote: I don't use light meters much anymore. The histogram tells me a lot more information. It doesn't take me any longer to push a button on the camera and read the display as it does to push the button on a meter and read the display.

:agree: :goodpost: How often are you checking your histogram? After each shot or as needed/curious?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #105784 by Henry Peach

Superman wrote: :agree: :goodpost: How often are you checking your histogram? After each shot or as needed/curious?

I don't check it after every shot, but it's so easy and convenient to check that I probably check it more often than I really need to. I am most concerned about it when the lighting changes. I have my DSLRs set so the LCD remains off when I'm shooting. I hate it lighting up with my eye pressed to the viewfinder.
12 years 9 months ago #105802 by Superman

Henry Peach wrote:

Superman wrote: :agree: :goodpost: How often are you checking your histogram? After each shot or as needed/curious?

I don't check it after every shot, but it's so easy and convenient to check that I probably check it more often than I really need to. I am most concerned about it when the lighting changes. I have my DSLRs set so the LCD remains off when I'm shooting. I hate it lighting up with my eye pressed to the viewfinder.

Gotcha, pretty much in the same boat. What camera you using?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024