Seems to me there are more Nikon users here than Canon.Lets take a poll.

12 years 9 months ago #104850 by Joves
Nikon and Pentax film.

12 years 9 months ago #104860 by fotozone
Nikon DSLR & Olympus sp-590 the last sp with manual settings.
12 years 9 months ago #104862 by Nikonjan
A couple of my friends shoot Canon so they are always teasing me about me being Nikon. Just thought it would be a fun post to see what people shoot. That's what's fun about the forums. I chose Nikon at first to be different than them. I did buy a Canon G12 as a 2nd camera. And I always like the sound of the Canon shutter. My friend is unhappy with her Canon D5 and some L lens that aren't sharp and was talking about changing to Nikon. I told her that is too expenive to start over to just go to a dealer to see what's up with her gear.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #104870 by welsberr
Back in 1977, I was looking to buy my first SLR. I had been carrying around a Koni-Omega Rapid 6x7cm rangefinder camera as my near-constant companion. A family friend and professional photographer, Lamar Philpot, served as a mentor to me on matters photographic. He urged me toward Nikon, and took me around to some camera shops in Bradenton one day. One of them had a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AI lens used, but in excellent condition, for a good price, and I ended up buying it on the spot. It was another couple of months before I ordered a Nikon F2A camera to go with it.

So I currently have my F2A and two other Nikon film SLRs, the N90s and the N80. I have a Fuji S2 DSLR (takes my Nikon-mount lenses) and a Nikon D2Xs. I have used Canon DSLRs on occasion and they seem to be fine pieces of gear, but I'm familiar with Nikon and still use my lenses, even my venerable 24mm.

As for stuff I've used in the past, it's pretty much whatever would get the job done. Anything from a Minox C up to a Sinar 4x5" view camera. I recall a job where the client wanted 4x5 foot enlargements of prints from the late 1800s. I used a 4x5" Speed Graphic with a Rodenstock enlarging lens mounted on it and used Kodak Technical Pan film developed in POTA for full tonal range to get the internegatives. Those went off to the lab, and a couple of weeks later we got the prints in, mounted on Foamcore boards. Using a loupe, we could trace every piece of grain back to its place in the original print, and our internegatives hadn't been strained enough to show grain of their own even at that degree of enlargement. Digital is way more convenient for just about everything, but we're just now getting to the neighborhood of that sort of resolution in specialized hardware.

"I used all the light that was available." W. Eugene Smith, fielding a question about the mourners photograph from his "Spanish Village" photo essay.
12 years 9 months ago #104872 by Shadowfixer1
Nikon for me. Pany TZ3 point and shoot.
12 years 9 months ago #104988 by anil
Canon Is the Best... The Only Problem with the Camera is it cannot walk by itself...:duel: :cheers:

12 years 9 months ago #104998 by Stealthy Ninja

anil wrote: Canon Is the Best... The Only Problem with the Camera is it cannot walk by itself...:duel: :cheers:

Since you so openly declare "the best" status for Canon.

How's the AF goin'?! :whistle:
12 years 9 months ago #105014 by chasrich
Is there a problem with the Canon AF? Do you pronounce Canon can-on or cah-non or is that a non issue for you?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #105016 by Stealthy Ninja
Serious answer: The problem with Canon AF (mainly) is that it sucks... or for more information. It will lock on but can't track. Also usually you have to focus and recompose, therefore shifting the focus plane, resulting in soft photos. I owned Canon for years, I know its problems.

Not so serious:

chasrich wrote: Is there a problem with the Canon AF? Do you pronounce Canon can-on or cah-non or is that a non issue for you?

I pronounce it with an "R"

Cr-ah-p-on

LOL

I love Canon secretly, just don't tell anyone Santa.

I actually pronounce it Can-on... but really don't care how people pronounce it. Unlike Nikon. Nikon is Nikon not Naighkon.
12 years 9 months ago #105050 by chasrich
I learned early on that sequential shooting gave me one or maybe two focused shots then mostly soft-blurry. I might have to buy a Nikon just to compare the two. Or better yet... I'll loot one this Christmas when I'm doing all those B&E's. :thumbsup:

In case you missed it... Nikon backwards is NoKin. I LOLed with the Crahpon. I think that would make a nifty strap for Nikon users to display. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #105058 by kcphotography
i use canon but i would never rule out getting a nikon:)

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #105060 by The Time Capturer
I use Canon and Fuji. Can't make a statement on any camera being best because these are all I've ever used. By the way, my particular Canon, XSi, focus tracks just fine. Never had a problem with that.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #105106 by Screamin Scott
Since some people are also listing their film cameras, I will also. I have Nikon (digital& film), Canon (film), Konica (film), Minolta (film), Pentax (film), Olympus (digital & film), Yashica (film), Hannimex (rebadged Practicka-film), Ricoh (film), Argus (film) & Sigma (digital)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #105114 by Henry Peach
I'm a nail pounder. www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/...c=viewphoto&id=42991 Hand me any brand hammer, Craftsman, Stanley, it doesn't matter, and I'll pound nails.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #105118 by Augphoto
Canon -

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024