Filter size and lens diameter question

12 years 9 months ago #106622 by KenMan
As I'm shopping around for new filters this question comes up again. Why the need for different diameter lenses? 52mm, 58mm, 77mm, etc.... why not just a standard size lens for example 77mm. Some lenses with the same focal length have different lens diameters?? Why not simplify things and just go with a common size?

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #106638 by cod
Everything is a trade-off between performance and cost. The intended use of the lens is also a factor. A rough rule of thumb: the larger the diameter of the lenses the wider the aperture that the lens will be capable of. My old Sigma f/5.6 400mm lens is a much smaller and way, way cheaper lens than Nikon's f/2.8 multi-thousand dollar 400mm. A fast pro-level wide aperture lens will be more expensive to build than a smaller maximum aperture consumer lens.

Related to that is lens size and weight. All else being equal, a wide aperture version of a lens will be bigger and heavier. Some people want the wide aperture. Others don't want the size and weight. Manufacturers produce a range of lenses to appeal to different needs.

You're probably aware that lenses tend to be sharpest at the center and less sharp near the edges. A designer may deliberately choose large diameter lenses whose image circle is bigger than the camera sensor as a way of improving image sharpness - mostly the center part of the image circle falls on the sensor. This makes the lens larger than it strictly has to be.

User requirements vary. Some people want cheaper lenses, some want top image quality, some want small and light. All of these things trade offf each other in ways that require compromises in the designs, so manufacturers respond with a range of lenses in varying quality, price and lens diameters.

Regards,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 9 months ago #106778 by Stanly
Cod nailed a great answer. :goodpost:

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #106797 by MLKstudios
cod answered this question very well.

Also, you can get around the various filter sizes by getting a 3x3" (or 4x4" for larger lenses) square filter holder.

Ex.:

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186726-RE..._3x3_4x4_Filter.html

Note: it requires the use of thin "gelatin" filters.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #106803 by Screamin Scott

MLKstudios wrote: cod answered this question very well.

Also, you can get around the various filter sizes by getting a 3x3" (or 4x4" for larger lenses) square filter holder.

Ex.:

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186726-RE..._3x3_4x4_Filter.html

Note: it requires the use of thin "gelatin" filters.

Or more expensive (and better) glass ones

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #106809 by MLKstudios
Scott, I'd use a better quality holder for glass filters. The one I linked to is inexpensive and uses a rubber band to attach to the lens. Some lightweight plastic filters might work with it though.

For glass filters consider something like this:

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/628264-RE...Special_Effects.html

Note too, that glass filters can be very, very expensive. Gelatins are relatively cheap (with excellent quality) and fit many lenses.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=wratte...=0&InitialSearch=yes

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #106815 by icepics
I have one of those Lee filter holders that I bought to use w/some old Spiratone special effects filters. I think you're right that it's designed more for the gelatin style filters. It's plastic w/cardboard inserts and seems like it would be flimsy for glass filters.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #106824 by Screamin Scott
I didn't click thru to the B&H link...I wouldn't use it with glass filters either. I just assumed it was a better holder than it is...My bad...BTW, you can get a better holder (off brand) on eBay than what this one costs

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #106832 by Nikonjan

KenMan wrote: As I'm shopping around for new filters this question comes up again. Why the need for different diameter lenses? 52mm, 58mm, 77mm, etc.... why not just a standard size lens for example 77mm. Some lenses with the same focal length have different lens diameters?? Why not simplify things and just go with a common size?

Or is there something I'm missing here?

I just bought a step up ring for my 72mm to use a 77mm nd filter. They are cheap. This way I can use it on two of my lens.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #106846 by icepics
Guess you assumed wrong huh Scott? LOL I didn't get mine from B&H, wanted it for some secondhand specialty filters that came w/a so-called holder that didn't seem to actually attach to anything.

I agree w/Jan, I've gotten a number of step-up rings myself, some from KEH - inexpensive and easy to use.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #106855 by Rob pix4u2
Buy the Lee or Cokin system and be done with it unless you own stock in Hoya or some other glass filter manufacturer

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #106883 by Henry Peach
I think manufacturers do try to standardize where they can. If you look at obviously complementary lenses, for instance f/2.8 24-70 and 70-200 zooms, they are often the same filter size. Among the five lenses I use for 99% of my photography the zooms are all 77mm, and the primes are all 58mm.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024