How to shoot through a chain link fence?

12 years 9 months ago #109345 by TMR 001
How can I shoot through a chain link fence without the fence being in the picture? I recently went to a zoo and all my pictures I can see the fence, which IMO makes the picture look bad.

12 years 9 months ago #109349 by Black Forest
You have to manual focus on the subject. Focus passed the fence. Manual focus to the point where the fence becomes invisble. It's possible, it's just takes practice.

12 years 9 months ago #109353 by TMR 001
Alright, so manual focus pass the fence. What if I am not good at manual focusing? I can never seem to get a complete focus when I MF.

12 years 9 months ago #109356 by cod
In addition to manual focusing as described above, keeping your aperture as wide open as your shot allows for minimal depth of field will help. The further from the fence the subject is the better these techniques will work. Likewise the closer you can get to the fence the better - there will be fewer out-of-ficus bands obscuring your subject.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 9 months ago #109362 by Black Forest

TMR 001 wrote: Alright, so manual focus pass the fence. What if I am not good at manual focusing? I can never seem to get a complete focus when I MF.

First manual focus, when the subject appears to mainly be in focus, then you can switch back over to AF. The camera should AF on your subject (that is, if your AF point is on the subject, and not on the fence)

12 years 9 months ago #109363 by TMR 001

cod wrote: In addition to manual focusing as described above, keeping your aperture as wide open as your shot allows for minimal depth of field will help. The further from the fence the subject is the better these techniques will work. Likewise the closer you can get to the fence the better - there will be fewer out-of-ficus bands obscuring your subject.

Thanks, although I am a little confused on...the closer I get to the fence, the better. Would this be because overall there is less fence in the frame of the picture?

12 years 9 months ago #109364 by TMR 001

Black Forest wrote:

TMR 001 wrote: Alright, so manual focus pass the fence. What if I am not good at manual focusing? I can never seem to get a complete focus when I MF.

First manual focus, when the subject appears to mainly be in focus, then you can switch back over to AF. The camera should AF on your subject (that is, if your AF point is on the subject, and not on the fence)

Thank you, I will try that. :)

12 years 9 months ago #109386 by Dori
Here is a couple I did while in MN...
I focused on the sled then recomposed. I wanted the fence to be a distraction.

I wanted the fence to be more in focus in this one.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #109388 by Henry Peach
If you can get close enough to the fence you can still use AF. The secret is getting the lens as close to the fence as possible. I recently photographed my son playing baseball from behind the chain link fence. I pressed the lens hood right up to the fence, and it disappeared in the pics.
12 years 9 months ago #109401 by TMR 001

Dori wrote: Here is a couple I did while in MN...
I focused on the sled then recomposed. I wanted the fence to be a distraction.

I wanted the fence to be more in focus in this one.

Wow what a difference. Yea my zoo shots are like that 2nd picture you posted.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dori
12 years 9 months ago #109408 by DestinDave
If you can get close enough to the fence so that the lens hood or the front edge of the filter/lens is just touching the chainlink, you can shoot right through the diamond opening.. at the very most, you may have a little vignette effect but if you compose properly, you can crop that out later..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #109415 by chasrich
:welcomeclan It's good to see you posting and responding. Stick around it only gets better from here. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #109432 by Shadowfixer1
This image was made at the zoo while shooting through a fence. Get as close as possible and try to center the lens in a fence opening. A longer focal length also helps. I have not altered this image at all because of the fence. I used my normal processing techniques only.

12 years 9 months ago #109438 by chasrich

Shadowfixer1 wrote: This image was made at the zoo while shooting through a fence. Get as close as possible and try to center the lens in a fence opening. A longer focal length also helps. I have not altered this image at all because of the fence. I used my normal processing techniques only.

What an ugly customer buzzards make. Especially this close. I think I would prefer looking at a fence... :rofl:

Actually we have come to expect these types of images from you Randy. :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #109444 by Shadowfixer1

chasrich wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: This image was made at the zoo while shooting through a fence. Get as close as possible and try to center the lens in a fence opening. A longer focal length also helps. I have not altered this image at all because of the fence. I used my normal processing techniques only.

What an ugly customer buzzards make. Especially this close. I think I would prefer looking at a fence... :rofl:

Actually we have come to expect these types of images from you Randy. :judge:

Do you mean you expect ugly images from me?:P

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024