Where can I buy a film camera?

12 years 10 months ago #109407 by Black Forest
I love using my DSLR, but recently I would like to play around with a 35mm SLR. Partly I would like to try and develop my own. Does anyone know where I can buy a SLR and the chemicals to develop the film?

12 years 10 months ago #109412 by DestinDave
Used film SLR's are just about everywhere - pawn shops, Craigslist, eBay, classifieds, etc.. a neat alternative to 35mm is a Holga medium-format camera and they can be found new for $35-100!
Used darkroom equipment can be found on Craigslist and eBay all the time also..
All you need (film, chemicals, tanks, enlargers, etc.) is available at some professional camera stores (a dying industry) but online at many places.. I'd suggest Freestyle Photo as a great starting place to get into old-school photography..
www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #109413 by Black Forest
Thanks. I'll check out the link.

12 years 10 months ago #109416 by Johnnie
To add to the list ... KEH who is also a sponsor of this site, is a good source as well.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109417 by Henry Peach
I've had good experiences buying used gear from keh.com , mpex.com , and Adorama. Freestyle is where I purchased most of my darkroom supplies.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109441 by effron
Just my $.02, but you should try to find a nice used F100. Watch flea bay to get an idea. It would match up nicely with your D300s, and the lenses would be useable with it. Also, there is a lot of unused and dusty film processing gear out there, (like in my basement), you might have some luck if you could find a camera/photo club local to you and let a few vets know of your desire to shoot and process film.
Good luck........;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #109450 by Shadowfixer1
Ditto on the F100. Best feeling camera I ever had.
12 years 10 months ago #109452 by Screamin Scott
And if you can't find an F100 at a reasonable enough price to you, the N90s is also a good 2nd choice...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #109532 by icepics
With KEH even what they list as bargain is in decent shape, if anything they seem to underestimate the condition, usually it's better than they rate it. I have an older Konica, a Pentax K2 (not the digital one, the one that's in the K1000 line), a Canon F1.

I've had some luck on Etsy; for me eBay is iffy at best. I've done OK w/darkroom equpment but for cameras there seem to be a lot that are selling uncle so-and-so's camera and they have no idea if it works and their picture is so fuzzy you can't tell. Or there are the ones w/too many red flags, the ship times are too long for where they say they are, the photos are not of the actual item etc. etc. Altho there are some reputable dealers still on eBay.

I learned how to develop B&W film but my time was limited in the darkroom so I usually got the film developed and did my own prints. (I was using one at a local university that got phased out). Sometimes I've had a proof sheet done too but had to tell them not to adjust it, otherwide it's hard to tell what you've got to work with.

I've done well too w/Freestyle, and Adorama or B&H for chemistry and paper that I can't find locally.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #109911 by PaperBoy
eBay, KEH, UsedCameras, and I would keep an eye out on Craigslist but use caution

12 years 10 months ago #109919 by jeffie5687
Are there are new film cameras still being made/sold today? Or is everything used?

12 years 10 months ago #109988 by Screamin Scott
I'm sure the other manufacturers have some offerings but Nikon only offers an FM10 (actually made by Cosina for Nikon) & the F6 (top of the line pro model...Here's a link to the Nikon page

www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Film-Cameras/index.page

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #110081 by Henry Peach
Also make sure your relatives know you are looking for a 35mm SLR. There are still plenty stashed in closets and attics out there. When my relatives learned I collected old cameras I was given a dozen 35mm SLRs people hadn't used in years.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024