Do you exhale just prior to pressing the shutter button?

12 years 9 months ago #110472 by Superman
I use to be in guns long time ago and with camera's I think it's out of habit that I exhale and during the last bit of exhalation I click the shutter. With target shooting it insures less shack, and I believe the same applies to shooting my camera.

With guns, this is basic knowledge, but it's something I don't hear in the photography world of shooting? Does anyone else practice this?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #110492 by Henry Peach
I've read many articles that mention using shooters' breathing techniques when hand holding. I try to be concerned with how I position my body, but I'm rarely thinking about my breathing.
12 years 9 months ago #110493 by Dori
I'm not sure if I do. I know, as you mentioned, when shooting a gun I do. I will have to pay attention.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #110497 by Rathers
Yes I do, but it has become so 2nd nature to me, I don't really take notice that I am doing it.

12 years 9 months ago #110506 by DestinDave
As a former military expert marksman and target pistol team member I think it's something I do without thinking.. but as I've gotten older, smoke more, and lost muscle tone, I think I shake more anyway.. :unsure: :blink: :(

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #110530 by Dori

DestinDave wrote: As a former military expert marksman and target pistol team member I think it's something I do without thinking.. but as I've gotten older, smoke more, and lost muscle tone, I think I shake more anyway.. :unsure: :blink: :(

Yeah, VR is a God send. ;)

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #110552 by chasrich
Like Dave I have shot in competition. I simply suspend my breath at the moment of squeeze. More important than breath might be the subtle squeeze of the button as opposed to the sudden poke at it. If it is really critical a remote trigger and tripod should be your best bet. BTW you can poke the hell out of the remote. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #110554 by DestinDave

chasrich wrote: Like Dave I have shot in competition. I simply suspend my breath at the moment of squeeze. More important than breath might be the subtle squeeze of the button as opposed to the sudden poke at it. If it is really critical a remote trigger and tripod should be your best bet. BTW you can poke the hell out of the remote. :woohoo:

Something I've started doing occasionally is using the remote even when hand-holding the camera.. may look a little strange but, it works!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #110556 by photobod
I try to stand with elbows tucked in, square shoulders, breath in and I squeeze the shutter at the top of the inhale, exhaling as I look for the next shot.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #110560 by Rob pix4u2
All the time- funny thing happenned recently as I was teaching someone to hand hold a long lens I remembered that he was a Marine and mentioned the concept of rifle steadiness and camera steadiness and almost instantly his shots became sharper

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #110618 by Gene.Culley
I do, but honestly don't know if it helps much. It's usually sunny out, which means I'm shooting at higher shutter speeds to begin with!

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: redneckphotos
12 years 9 months ago #110637 by redneckphotos
my father taught me to shoot as a small child and it is an automatic thing to do I shoot like I shoot

RedNeck Photos
12 years 9 months ago #110642 by mojophoto
My grandfather was a WW2 combat photographer. He came home and made a career out of it and handed down the love of the art to my father and my dad on to me. When my dad was teaching me to shoot, I would come out of the dark room disappointed from blurry pics.

Dad told me prior to pushing the shutter to take a deep breath, let it out half way, then fire. I have done this ever since and haven't had a blurry pic since.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110660 by MajorMagee
Yes, I definitely use good marksmanship techniques for photography as well.

When hand holding a very long lens like 300mm you can never completely stop the image from dancing a bit. Holding your breath (even the proper marksman's momentary pause on exhale) can just make it worse. One thing you can do is to focus on getting the changes to be slow, smooth and steady in one direction, and shoot as you pass through the target. If your shutter speed is high enough it'll work out fine (especially with a little help from the IS system).

This Thread Has Some Examples Of What Can Be Achieved Hand Held With A Long Lens Using This Technique

12 years 9 months ago #110886 by Pettigrew

MajorMagee wrote: Yes, I definitely use good marksmanship techniques for photography as well.

When hand holding a very long lens like 300mm you can never completely stop the image from dancing a bit. Holding your breath (even the proper marksman's momentary pause on exhale) can just make it worse. One thing you can do is to focus on getting the changes to be slow, smooth and steady in one direction, and shoot as you pass through the target. If your shutter speed is high enough it'll work out fine (especially with a little help from the IS system).

This Thread Has Some Examples Of What Can Be Achieved Hand Held With A Long Lens Using This Technique

Nice shots you took there :thumbsup:

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024