Do you get asked to take a lot of photos for family and friends, where they assume there is no cost?

12 years 9 months ago #111575 by HawaiiGuy
Perhaps I should have put my foot down years ago, but nearly most of my immediate family always ask for me to take photos of this and that. From birthday parties to graduations, to photos for insurance to you name it. Why? Because I own "one of those professional cameras". Anything that isn't a point and shoot in my family is considered a "professional camera" :rofl: :rofl:

Do you get asked to take photos of your family and friends often with no pay?

12 years 9 months ago #111581 by Rob pix4u2
All the time - I've even done a wedding for my stepson and best friend for free

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #111583 by redneckphotos
I do all birthdays, holidays and so forth I am glad gives me a reason to be a bit anti-social

RedNeck Photos
12 years 9 months ago #111601 by MLKstudios
If you want to get out of it (or make money)...

Say you will do it, but will have to charge full price for the prints.

And don't give 'em a CD.

Matthew :)

PS Value your time, so they value others.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #111605 by Maria21
I do all the time. For the most part I do the pics & supply a low res CD. (They have to pay for a high res. CD) I see this as my time to learn hands on areas of photography I otherwise would not do. I've done weddings as my gift to the couple & pics of a new baby as my baby gift to them.. but anything after that is paid for.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #111631 by chasrich
I usually volunteer before I'm asked. I'm sure I'll be remembered as that old guy with the camera stuck to his face... I do not provide prints but will make a few CD's.

I can't help it. The rest of my friends and relatives suck at photography. Even more than I do - :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #111656 by Joe Somebody
Heck I start to take pictures before anyone asks me. lol I just can't help myself.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111660 by Henry Peach
I am not often asked to photograph family and friend events, but they all know that if I'm coming I'm probably bringing a camera. I haven't charged family for weddings. Friends get a discount. I shoot my friends' bands for free. I enjoy it. Any expenses beyond camera gear are on them, and I expect a few beers. :cheers:

As long as it's fun, and I don't have a paying gig, I'm probably glad to do it. They are aware that if it becomes a pain in the butt I'm going to break out the contract.
12 years 9 months ago #111674 by Johnnie
With every function I attend, there is at least one camera with me. It is something that is expected by my family. I will make a low res CD for them to view (only one - they pass it around). When all is said and done .. they do order prints and pay for them. Of course at a discount price. Guess I am lucky.

12 years 9 months ago #111750 by Cre8tivefix
I get asked a lot by family and I enjoy doing them. They know that they are subject to my experimenting on them and that's part of the deal. LOL And I know if I ever need anything and ask they will return the favor. My friends are usually more than willing to hire me by either bartering or paying, so that's not an issue. In fact, that is where my "business" started, they insisted on paying.

But when it comes to family events. I really enjoy taking the pictures, but I have 3 young kids and keeping track of them hampers my picture taking fun a lot. So people know not to count on me for pictures all the time. When it's something I don't want to be bother with I just make sure not to take my big camera. Any pictures I do take are generally just shared on facebook and things like that.

12 years 9 months ago #111751 by crystal
Yes, mainly my sister asks me all the time. But now that she is not speaking to me, I don't have that problem any more.
12 years 9 months ago #111826 by photobod
I am anti social so take a camera with me to every family event, the camera is always in front of my face that way no one attempts to engage me in a conversation which I am crap at, never know what to say, I put them online and if anyone wants one they pay cost price plus postage if neccessary.
All my close friends know that they will get 50% off any package I have and they are all happy with that, other friends on the periphary get my normal friend discount which is 20% off, anyone else full price or go away.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #111854 by mj~shutterbugg
Nope. I hardly ever bring my camera to my maternal families gatherings. They won't pay me so why should I? Practice sure but I am not trying to be an event photographer. I have taken Senior portraits for my step nieces and was paid for my time and CD- at a tremendously discounted rate as it was my first shoot and I am learning that skill- so my motto is free sitting fee, free 8x10 and I get to use your shoot for my website and promo work. I am offering a discounted hi res CD. Most people don't ask me as that isn't my genre and well I like to enjoy the party :cheers:

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #111877 by John Landolfi
I've done it willingly for friends who need an occasional photo, as a wedding gift ( I don't relly consider that free, I would have needed to buy somr impersonal gift instead of my images), and gladly make presents of photos to close friends. I'm only irritated when some seem to expect me to work for nothing but the glory, and are unwilling to pay for work that benefits them. Did I say: Friends???

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024