Could photography be a wealthy man's hobby?

13 years 4 months ago #13984 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I started out with a used Nikon film body and used lenses that were within my budget before I ever bought a new body or lens. Most of what I had before that time was "hand me down" from my uncle when he would buy something new. Like Crystal said if you don't shoot off of Auto then why bother with a full zoot expensive body or pro lens -just for the bragging rights? Go with something that meets your shooting needs and maybe a little room to grow so your frustration level doesn't go off of the charts.
Photography can be done on a tight budget if you do some research and search out the best bang for the bucks. Images can be made with cardboard cameras that you can be very proud of-I've done it on river rafting trips where i would never have taken my SLR bodies. It often times is not the instrument but the vision of the shooter that makes a PHOTOGRAPH rather than just a snapshot. Technical details aside. I am always amused by folks who ask "What KIND of Camera do YOU have ?" when they see my portfolio of images. Pro shooters need some of the features on those expensive bodies or glass to do their work. Just ask a top pro nurse or Doc how expensive their Stethescope was and you will see the comparison.
I spent several hundred dollars on my "ears" when I worked in Professional nursing because my patients lives depended on the quality of my assessments. Most top pro shooters will give you similar reasons for spending on the tools to get the images they get.

I agree with Rob. I didn't start out with used cameras, but my first DSLR I had the kit lens and learn from that. I remember like it was yesterday, for a good two years I learned photography with a DSLR. I frustrated myself shooting everything on Manual. Manual was the only setting I shot. I didn't touch Auto, A, S or P modes. I didn't touch the preset modes either. I wanted to learn how to shoot to acheive the correct settings. After I learn, then I bought myself another lens and moved on to using the A and S modes.
I also lost count how many times I heard "what kind of camera do you have". It's just too funny. I know this girl who has the same camera I have, who calls herself a "pro", and she will ask several photographers on FB "What camera do you shoot with? that is an awesome shot".

A guy I knew from school, personally asked me what kind of DSLR should he buy because he wants to shoot panoramics. He loves a specific photographer's work who shoots only panoramics and now this guy I know thinks he can acheive this by buying the biggest, baddest DSLR. He also wanted as wide as he can go with a lens. I told him what he should buy, I also told him it's pricey. Keep in mind, this guy really knows nothing about photography, but saw some awesome shots and all of a sudden he has to be in the photography crowd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 4 months ago #13985 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Images can be made with cardboard cameras that you can be very proud of-I've done it on river rafting trips where i would never have taken my SLR bodies.

This is so true. I had puzzle camera, that I put together. It was a working film camera. All made out of cardboard. My husband and I was curious if it would actually take pictures. It was a pinhole camera. Yes it took pictures. I unfortually threw the camera out a couple years ago. I wish I would have kept it. Not to use, but just for decor.
13 years 4 months ago #14038 by Rob pix4u2

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Images can be made with cardboard cameras that you can be very proud of-I've done it on river rafting trips where i would never have taken my SLR bodies.

This is so true. I had puzzle camera, that I put together. It was a working film camera. All made out of cardboard. My husband and I was curious if it would actually take pictures. It was a pinhole camera. Yes it took pictures. I unfortually threw the camera out a couple years ago. I wish I would have kept it. Not to use, but just for decor.

This is why my wife says I am a packrat- I never get rid of any good camera gear- I've only traded in two SLR bodies and one DSLR body over the years as I upgraded my cameras. I still have my first SLR, a KONICA AUTOREFLEX,and the 50mm lens it came with.( still takes great pix too) I don't dabble in film as much as I should but too a film body to the championship series last spring and drew a lot of comments from the other shooers about the dinosaur on my shoulder. LOL

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #14057 by photobod
They said golf was a rich mans hobby years ago, now you can get a decent set of clubs for under £100 and play a round of golf for a tenner here in the UK.
Photography is every persons domain, Cameras come in all shapes sizes and prices now, anyone could take photography up as a hobby and spend less than a hundred pounds.
Its the eye of the photographer that counts, being out there, right time right place, seeing something worth photographing and clicking that shutter.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024