If mirror lenses are not all that great...

12 years 9 months ago #115307 by Hogan
then why do people buy them? I can understand why companies make mirror lenses...for the same reason companies make everything else...$$$. But why would people continue to buy mirror lenses if they are no where as good as other lenses?

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115309 by MLKstudios
Like all lenses, they have a purpose. Another name for them is a "donut lens" for the donut shaped bokeh. However, most have but one aperture ( usually f/8 ) so either a tripod or lots of light is needed.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #115314 by Hogan

MLKstudios wrote: Like all lenses, they have a purpose. Another name for them is a "donut lens" for the donut shaped bokeh. However, most have but one aperture ( usually f/8 ) so either a tripod or lots of light is needed.

Matthew

What is their purpose? I never owned a mirror lens, I only heard the bad stories about them.
Overall their purpose is to be part of the camera to capture the image, but why would someone buy a mirror lens, when they can buy a normal everyday lens to produce better quality?

12 years 9 months ago #115318 by Screamin Scott
Try pricing an OEM lens in the same focal length & you will discover why people buy them.....Using one means you at least get an image that otherwise you may not have gotten. You can get decent images with them sometimes, but it's not easy....I've got two of them .I'll post a sample image later when I get home from work...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115324 by Hogan

Screamin Scott wrote: Try pricing an OEM lens in the same focal length & you will discover why people buy them.....Using one means you at least get an image that otherwise you may not have gotten. You can get decent images with them sometimes, but it's not easy....I've got two of them .I'll post a sample image later when I get home from work...

Thanks Scott for your answer. Can't wait to see the image. :)

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115330 by Graflex 4x5
Reflective (mirror) lenses are far shorter and lighter then their refractive counterparts. If you're trying to maintain a low profile while watching a suspect, they have their merits. Also if some angry person grabs the lens trying to gain control of your camera, just hit the release button and sacrifice the lens. You'd loose a couple hundred $$$ versus several thousand $$$$.

Like everything else, they're a tool to use.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 9 months ago #115332 by MLKstudios

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #115333 by effron

Hogan wrote: then why do people buy them? I can understand why companies make mirror lenses...for the same reason companies make everything else...$$$. But why would people continue to buy mirror lenses if they are no where as good as other lenses?

I believe P.T. Barnum had this question covered.......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115337 by Hogan

Graflex 4x5 wrote: Reflective (mirror) lenses are far shorter and lighter then their refractive counterparts. If you're trying to maintain a low profile while watching a suspect, they have their merits. Also if some angry person grabs the lens trying to gain control of your camera, just hit the release button and sacrifice the lens. You'd loose a couple hundred $$$ versus several thousand $$$$.

Haha, spying on someone...for a cheap price. Until you get caught.

12 years 9 months ago #115339 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote: Try pricing an OEM lens in the same focal length & you will discover why people buy them.....Using one means you at least get an image that otherwise you may not have gotten. You can get decent images with them sometimes, but it's not easy....I've got two of them .I'll post a sample image later when I get home from work...

:agree: There are also "regular non-mirror" lenses in this same category.
This is a shot with a 1000mm (500mm with 2x convertor (about $100) using a Pentax ME Super film camera. Not great quality but with the other lens I had, I might as well have been shooting ants.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #115348 by Graflex 4x5

Hogan wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote: Reflective (mirror) lenses are far shorter and lighter then their refractive counterparts. If you're trying to maintain a low profile while watching a suspect, they have their merits. Also if some angry person grabs the lens trying to gain control of your camera, just hit the release button and sacrifice the lens. You'd loose a couple hundred $$$ versus several thousand $$$$.

It's called SURVEILLANCE and is perfectly legal if done from public property. Police, private investigators and insurance companies do it all the time.

12 years 9 months ago #115355 by Tylor3pic
Right now I have a 70-300. I have looked into mirror lenses before and thought about it. One day if I decide to get a bigger telephoto, I will probably buy a mirror lens. They are cheap for the focal length and I can't afford the real deal.

12 years 9 months ago #115358 by Hogan

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Hogan wrote:

It's called SURVEILLANCE and is perfectly legal if done from public property. Police, private investigators and insurance companies do it all the time.

Yes, but what police do and what you and I/everyday people do, are two different things. We all know, if the person whom we are spying on catches us and call the cops, we would probably be arrested.

12 years 9 months ago #115371 by Baydream

Hogan wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Hogan wrote:

Yes, but what police do and what you and I/everyday people do, are two different things. We all know, if the person whom we are spying on catches us and call the cops, we would probably be arrested.

Not if you are taking the photos from pubic property and not shooting into someones window or in, say, a public restroom.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115378 by Graflex 4x5

Baydream wrote:

Hogan wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Hogan wrote:

Not if you are taking the photos from pubic property and not shooting into someones window or in, say, a public restroom.

In PA. if you can see it from public property (roadway) doesn't matter if you shoot into a window. The idea is, If you don't want people seeing what you're doing, put up a fence and close the curtains. I knew a person who had a PI taking pics through her windows .... The DA told her to close the curtains. In a public rest room you are assured an implied amount of privacy ... doors on the stalls and screens on either side of the urnials.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024