Just how weather proof are DSLRs?

12 years 9 months ago #115435 by Scott Grant
I have been reading other peoples post here about weather not being good or the poor chap who had his camera dropped in the sand. Which technically isn't weather related.

Can you take these cameras out in light rain and be OK? When they say they are weather sealed, what exactly does that mean in real terms? Or is it mostly a marketing gimmick?

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115440 by Henry Peach
I don't believe any of my DSLRs (20D, 40D, 5D, 5DII) have been very weather sealed. At least not like the top of the line models. I've had them out in sprinkling rain and falling snow for hours without any trouble. When the rain starts falling harder I put on a rain cover.

Once in cold, winter weather the LCD on the 20D stopped working, but as son as it warmed up again it was okay. I've never had that happen with any DSLR since.
12 years 9 months ago #115447 by eryck

Henry Peach wrote:
Once in cold, winter weather the LCD on the 20D stopped working, but as son as it warmed up again it was okay. I've never had that happen with any DSLR since.

I was out a few times this past winter in -20 c weather. On one occasion I got ice build up on my shutter button and it stopped working momentarily, after turning it off for about 10 minutes and having it nestled under my winter coat i was able to take a few more pix of the ice fishing people. Also the battery life goes faster in very cold weather.

After the ice situation on my shutter button I did not continue to shoot outdoors in below - 20 c. I guess the 10 minute power outage concerned me a bit.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #115450 by crystal
I can't speak for all cameras, only the ones I've had. I had the Nikon D50, D80 and now D7000. I have had all 3 in light rain, pouring down rain and thunderstorms with no protection (yes I know, you all can kill me now). Don't worry, my husband already did it. lol At one point I did get a rain sleeve to make my husband happy. I used it once and in the middle of using it I took it off because it was more in the way, then actually being useful.

All 3 cameras never got wet inside, never got ruin in any way from the rain. Of course I always dry the camera/lens off as soon as I get inside.

Oh and I also had them in snow too.
12 years 9 months ago #115456 by chasrich
I have had the buttons on the back of the camera go crazy then stop working all together. The problem was sweat from my hand and high humidity. I managed to suck the moisture out with a vacuum when I got it home.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #115474 by DestinDave

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #115610 by effron

DestinDave wrote: Camera Umbrella

Yeah, I have one but rarely use it. I have all but submerged my D300, its been in very cold, way too hot, driving rain, sleet, hail and a close call in the Atlantic surf, been on tripod and knocked over, (Twice in five minutes, same klutz :angry: ) and has had no problems arise from the abuse. Same with my 24-70 2.8, all short of deep water. I haven't had the guts to expose my D700 to the same, but its basically the same camera body.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115666 by Scotty
I've cleaned my camera off with a hose.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115689 by Stealthy Ninja
Everyone in HK has umbrellas anyway. But I've used my camera in a thunderstorm.
12 years 9 months ago #115792 by Pettigrew

effron wrote:

Yeah, I have one but rarely use it. I have all but submerged my D300, its been in very cold, way too hot, driving rain, sleet, hail and a close call in the Atlantic surf, been on tripod and knocked over, (Twice in five minutes, same klutz :angry: ) and has had no problems arise from the abuse. Same with my 24-70 2.8, all short of deep water. I haven't had the guts to expose my D700 to the same, but its basically the same camera body.......;)

You should do a commercial for Nikon :beerbang:

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115955 by effron

Pettigrew wrote:

effron wrote:

You should do a commercial for Nikon :beerbang:

I thought I just did.........:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115956 by fotozone
I have a Nikon D3100 and I have taken it out BRIEFLY in the rain and snow, but I have never done it for long periods of time I am just to chicken. :unsure:
12 years 9 months ago #115977 by Scotty

fotozone wrote: I have a Nikon D3100 and I have taken it out BRIEFLY in the rain and snow, but I have never done it for long periods of time I am just to chicken. :unsure:

It has no weather sealing. I wouldn't let rain hit it.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115991 by Joves
I like Effron have had my D300 in everything with no problems. I was trying to catch lightning last week and it and my fisheye only got wet with no errors. In the camera lines the upper end cameras are all weather sealed. This also holds true for the lenses. If you are not sure about your camera and lens carry a large ziplock to cover it, cut a hole for the lens.

12 years 9 months ago #116016 by Scotty

Joves wrote: I like Effron have had my D300 in everything with no problems. I was trying to catch lightning last week and it and my fisheye only got wet with no errors. In the camera lines the upper end cameras are all weather sealed. This also holds true for the lenses. If you are not sure about your camera and lens carry a large ziplock to cover it, cut a hole for the lens.

The weather sealed lenses need a screw on filter on the front to complete the seal.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024