What do you think about buying a refurbished camera?

12 years 9 months ago #115811 by KenMan
I have been looking around at some other camera options to upgrade my D5000, but working with a limited budget. I have noticed that if I buy a refurbished one, I can safe a lot of $$. I like this, because then I can get some better lenses.

The only snag in this plan is that I have heard recently that refurbish camera's might have some residual issues? Has anyone bought a refurbished camera and NOT have any issues?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115814 by effron
Buy from a reputable seller, with a "return" warranty, and have no worries........B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #115836 by KCook
I just bought my first refurbished camera, from Canon Direct. The body (EOS 50D) has been flawless. Of course the lens that came with it is also refurbished, and that has been a slight disappointment. The action for the zoom ring is sloppy, obvious result of a lot of use. I suspect that high $$ equipment refurbishes more successfully than the bargain basement gear (such as this kit lens). Still, the $$ saved are very important to my budget, I'm glad I went the refurbished route. Next time I think I would also consider "E" rated used gear, in addition to refurbished. That "E" rated gear may have less use, in some cases.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #115839 by Nod
I would have no problem buying from KEH.

12 years 9 months ago #115906 by photobod
Yep have to agree with all buy from a reputable dealer you will still get a bargain but with a warranty.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #116057 by Scotty
I've bought a Nikon D3s ($5299 camera) and a canon 5d mark I both refurbished. Flawless. Like new. I would do it 100 times over.

I bought from Adorama both times btw.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116060 by robbie
I bought refurbished and used from KEH without any problems,plus you can get a One Year Warranty
at the same time if you wish.Like others before I recommend KEH.

12 years 9 months ago #116083 by Henry Peach
I'm a big fan of KEH, and have bought plenty of good, used stuff there, but also check out the camera manufacturers' websites. I know Canon sells refurbished cameras directly. Nikon and the others might too.
12 years 9 months ago #116158 by Robert Chen

Nod wrote: I would have no problem buying from KEH.

:agree: same here

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116463 by KenMan
Does anyone know what exactly gets done to a camera when it get's refurbished?

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116692 by KCook
Honestly, I don't know those details. Both my body and lens were flawless, cosmetically. Appeared the same as brand spanking new. But the image file numbers for the body did not start at "1", and the lens had slop in the zoom action, so I'm sure neither was really new, in spite of their appearances. Scratches and nicks must be easier to clean up than I ever knew!

Refurb buyers kind of take it on faith that the refurb process made everything right. I don't put a lot of weight in the warranty, as these are pretty short duration. A good used camera outlet provides for returns on used gear (not refurb), which is about the same benefit. Thus I would also consider a "E" rated used camera, from the right outlet.

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024