Question about metering when bride in white and white back ground in sun light?

12 years 9 months ago #118155 by Steven.Powell
I just got back from shooting some shots of a bride and groom. They got married in Hawaii and didn't have any photos taken so they wanted some photos to hang up. The bride was very adamant about where she wanted the photos taken. Which happened to be on the side of their completely white house in direct sunlight. She wanted to be literally feet away from the house. I asked for her to move away from the house to give some depth and separation, but she didn't want to. Needless to say, her white dress and the house look as if they are one, then the groom in his black tux is standing there.

Was there anything I could have done differently with this?

12 years 9 months ago #118212 by Henry Peach
Can we see an example? If I'm metering a bright scene I would tend to over expose from what the meter says, as it's trying to make middle gray tone. But whatever the meter says I'd check the histogram. It should indicate fairly clearly whether you've blown out the detail in the highlights or not.
12 years 9 months ago #118454 by Joe Photo Daddy
I'm wondering would firing a flash behind the bride and groom at the side of the house be enough to add some separation? Perhaps make a high key wedding portrait :thumbsup:

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118459 by MLKstudios
The histogram is your bestest friend in these situations.

Bring the right edge of the histogram "mountain" just a tad to the left of the right edge of the scale.

If it is climbing the right edge, lower your exposure.

HTH

PS you may have to brighten it some in post to look "natural", but you will have all the dress details to work with.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #118460 by photobod
Its like this, sometimes Brides dont get it, they think they no best and all you can do is give them what they have asked for, as long as you explained the pit falls I really dont think they have any right to complain about the results. :nunu: :nunu: :nunu:
Now as to what you could have done, which is difficult as we dont actually know what you did, but if you shot in Raw then great because there would be lots you could do in photoshop, if you shot in jpeg then you have problems in that there will probably be no detail in the dress and it will look as though she is built into the wall, funny yes but not what you want ideally, if you metered off the dress the skin tones will be gone if you metered off the skin then the details in the dress will be gone, its possible you may even have lost detail in both if conditions as you say were very bright, this is where exposure compensation can help a little. :banana: :banana: :banana:
So overall, next time shoot in raw, dial in some exposure compensation, and take a black reflector so you can ask someone to block out some of the light, or tape up the brides mouth so she cant say anything :rofl: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #118472 by Henry Peach
Or make a bargain: you'll do it the bride's way if she'll let you do it your way too.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024