How do you find the time to get out and shoot?

12 years 9 months ago #118490 by ShadowWalker
My question is aimed at you recreational photographers who have another day job and family. How are you finding the time to get out and take photos? I have been working so much lately and then I can't neglect my family, so what ends up happening is not enough time to get out and photograph things.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #118499 by redneckphotos

ShadowWalker wrote: My question is aimed at you recreational photographers who have another day job and family. How are you finding the time to get out and take photos? I have been working so much lately and then I can't neglect my family, so what ends up happening is not enough time to get out and photograph things.

I have a five month old baby some of my photos are not in focus like I would like I have to hold him at times but I take my camera and the diaper bag everywhere I get what I can when I can lots of things in my town and my own yard. I leave comments in the form of smiley faces because I am holding my son and I leave off punctuation when I am hurried to tend to things but I need this for me even if its only ten or fifteen min a day.

RedNeck Photos
12 years 9 months ago #118860 by Alex
It's sometime very difficult, generally I'm able to free up some time on the weekends.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118863 by McBeth Photography
I have become the family photographer (extented family too) and friends are (mostly) cool with the idea that when they come over there will be a few pics.

But mostly I've realized that we as a society are way too busy. I think that it even affects our health (the added stress in our lives), and we need to slow down a little. Photography has completely replaced the time that I used to spend in front of the TV, I don't even watch the news, and for the most part I really don't want to go back to hearing about the latest scandal, who killed who, who's cheating on who, etc. As a society, we really need to chill out.

I guess that my point is this, sometimes a person needs to make time. I'm determined to not see my camera become the guitar that has been in my closet for the last decade (I recently gave it to a friend that will probably adorn his closet with it), I've gotta just keep shooting, not because photography is that important, it's because my sanity is that important. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #118867 by MLKstudios
Well put McBeth. You can also view photography as therapy. It helps clear your head and freeze the world for you. It takes you to the eternal NOW.

It's a Zen thing. Right chas? ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #118871 by Scotty
You stay up for 24 hours, and go to a meet up.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #118902 by chasrich

MLKstudios wrote: Well put McBeth. You can also view photography as therapy. It helps clear your head and freeze the world for you. It takes you to the eternal NOW.

It's a Zen thing. Right chas? ;)

It's image stabilization for the soul... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #118907 by photobod
I know the question was put to people who are not pro photographers but it is actualy just as difficult for a pro to find time to do social photography, I for one when I was working full time never found time to do photography for myself, but I always found time to watch the news or watch a film, so when I return to full time work I intend to make time for my personal photography, as Barry has so succinctly pointed out why are we so interested in the latest killing the latest celebrity etc, which is why I no longer own a TV, so when I return to work early next year I will make that time.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #118909 by chasrich
Gods Speed David.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #118992 by Foxy Girl
Weekends is the time for me, although every once in awhile in summer I can get some shots in during night time.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #119343 by IceEyes
I agree with redneckphotos ... Although my boys are older now, I carried my camera everywhere I went when they where younger. No matter where I go, even today - I have my camera ... you never know when a cool opportunity will come up ... And you can involve your baby / family in the photos if you like, but if not possible, you can still get your shot and not feel guilty about leaving the house. (I know in a perfect world - moms are supposed to get "me" time - but that is not reality - moms now a days have so much on their plate, when it comes to doing what they "like" - that is the part they tend to leave out) ...

A good example is ... take your little one to the park ... there is squirrels, water, trees ... etc and you can add to the baby collection some awesome out door pics of your baby (Families eat that stuff up) lol ... Just make it part of your routine, you will see most of the time - candid photos are the best ... (Posed shots are good, but candid are more spontaneous) ... and you are having quality time with family but still sneaking in what makes you happy ;)

I have more time now - boy are older and have things they like to do (that do not include 'ol mom) ... I use it for "me" time and a stress reliever. I live close to the coast - I LOVE the salt air and fresh air. If I am not photo shooting, I am pier fishing (I even have my camera even then - lol)

You will do great ... :thumbsup:

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸ IceEyes
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ (¸.·""♥

Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Real Eyes ~ Realize ~ Real Lies

12 years 9 months ago #119577 by Frank The Tank
It can be tough, but I find the time. I think I'm getting at least a few hours per week of recreational shooting with my camera.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #119614 by crystal
I don't think my answer really counts as I don't have kids and my husband loves to shoot too. So, during the day after/before work if I have nothing else to do, I go out to shoot. On the weekends my husband and I go out together to shoot. So since we both like photography, we can spend time together.

I think those who have a full time job, plus a family. Yes spend time with your family, but also make time to shoot. Take the family with you on a hike or to the zoo. They will have a good time and you get to shoot. Or purposely set aside one day out of the month (more if you can) to just go out by yourself to shoot.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024