What are you views on chimping?

12 years 8 months ago #123278 by Henry Peach

The Time Capturer wrote: I read somewhere many years ago before digital that product photographers used polaroids to check lighting before capturing the image with the film cameras.

Exactly, but you either had to have a camera where you could switch between regular film and Polaroid backs, or you had to have two cameras: one film, one Polaroid. Polaroid did make some varieties that also made a neg, but it has never been available since I became interested in photography. Sometimes the best shot would end up being the test shot, and then they'd photograph the Polaroid.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #123666 by Stealthy Ninja
I have to say I have to get out of the habit of chomping too much. Many the time I think there's a lull in the action and I start chimping... only for someone to say, hey XYZ is happening, quick get the shot!

Lucky for me I cut my teeth doing street photography. I can take a 200mm shot without IS/VR in less than a second... and walk away nonchalantly like I didn't do anything... :thumbsup:
12 years 8 months ago #123690 by chasrich
It's my camera and I'll chimp if I want to, chimp if I want to... You would chimp too if it happened to you... Bum ba bum bum Bum. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #123712 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote: It's my camera and I'll chimp if I want to, chimp if I want to... You would chimp too if it happened to you... Bum ba bum bum Bum. :woohoo:

Time for bed grandpa, you can relive the past tomorrow. :whistle:
12 years 8 months ago #123721 by chasrich
No Christmas for you Ninja... And I was saving a set of fluffy pink numchuks just for your stocking. :watching:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #123732 by Dori

chasrich wrote: No Christmas for you Ninja... And I was saving a set of fluffy pink numchuks just for your stocking. :watching:

They weren't red?? :whistle:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #123741 by chasrich
Red fluffy is not as fluffy as when it's pink fluffy. The point being you get to hit someone with something fluffy and soft... :woohoo:

12 years 8 months ago #123758 by Dori

chasrich wrote: Red fluffy is not as fluffy as when it's pink fluffy. The point being you get to hit someone with something fluffy and soft... :woohoo:

:rofl: :rofl:

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #124106 by Stealthy Ninja
I almost forgot about FPH.

Fluffy Pink Handcuffs FTW!!111
12 years 8 months ago #124388 by MayorOfCoolCity
I cheat and look at my pics, but that's because I suck

12 years 8 months ago #124573 by icepics
Another thread that took a weird turn! LOL Anyway, I haven't used a digital camera all that much yet, at least compared to years of shooting film, so I'm not used to there being an image on the back of the camera to look at. I often know in my head what I've photographed so sometimes don't need to see it so much anyway, and having done some sports (hockey) I got used to staying w/the action. When I'm usiing my digial camera I tend to shoot a series of photos then when I stop I may glance thru the images, sometimes I delete the ones that aren't good then and go thru the rest later.

I save my chimping for when I see a camera I want!!

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124867 by Gene.Culley
So how did this name "chimping" come to existence to begin with?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124868 by Dori

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #124888 by Scotty

MayorOfCoolCity wrote: I cheat and look at my pics, but that's because I suck

You and me both. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124916 by icepics
I first saw it on Sportsshooter, as mentioned on the Wiki page in the link Dori posted for us. I wonder how a USA Today photographer feels about one of his claims to fame being that he came up w/the term chimping?? LOL

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024