Anyone using their camera for videography?

12 years 8 months ago #123784 by Superman
Are you using your DSLR for videography work as well as photography? What video accessories are you using and what video editing software do you have?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #123839 by Garbo
A friend of mine is using quick time I think for his video editing. Or wait :blink: I think I might be getting software messed up. Let me check on this. BRB

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124099 by Stealthy Ninja
Sometimes, but mainly I use my quite expensive VIDEO camera ;)

DSLR is good for artistic kinda shots.
12 years 8 months ago #124159 by Eddy

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Sometimes, but mainly I use my quite expensive VIDEO camera ;)

Artistic or not, it's hot right now. I wish my D300 would take video

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124466 by steveheap
I've been using my Canon 5d mk II for video occasionally. It produces really good quality HD video, which I have managed to sell from time to time on stock video sites. I use Premiere when I need to edit video together or just MPEG-Streamclip if I need to clip the video a bit and export it to a new format. This free program is great for doing those simple things.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124518 by Stealthy Ninja

Eddy wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Sometimes, but mainly I use my quite expensive VIDEO camera ;)

Artistic or not, it's hot right now. I wish my D300 would take video

It is hot. Frankly I think this response caught the DSLR makers off guard. They didn't expect it to be so huge among the video making community. Video makers buy the 7D (or 5Dii) so much that it's probably the reason why still photographers can't get it... lol).

However, if you frequented video making forums (as I do) you'd know a lot of the guys are calling it a fad (especially the searching focus and razor thin DOF that a lot of people do). I personally see a lot of photographers doing video now. They tend to have an eye for nice looking shots, but mostly they don't know about audio (they just display their artistic montages with a music track... they do look really nice though). AND they don't have a clue about storytelling. It's often the video version of a photo slideshow. Not always of course, but often.

Thing is with DSLR videos that is really good is that it does shallow DOF shots (making it good for indy filmmaking etc.) but it's not a good substitute for a video camera for other things. Real video cameras have a lot of functions (XLR inputs, waveform displays, peaking, proper audio controls etc. etc.)

That said I do like the look of DSLR stuff for certain artistic shots (I don't say that as an insult BTW, sometimes you need it).

steveheap wrote: I've been using my Canon 5d mk II for video occasionally. It produces really good quality HD video, which I have managed to sell from time to time on stock video sites. I use Premiere when I need to edit video together or just MPEG-Streamclip if I need to clip the video a bit and export it to a new format. This free program is great for doing those simple things.

Steve

Yes the 5Dii is quite good. Has some aliasing issues and the rolling shutter isn't ideal on that camera, but it's one of the best DSLR cameras (if not THE best... maybe the Panny GH2 is slightly better in some ways....).

Premiere is also the way to go for the footage, since you can edit the files natively without transcoding. Though other programs are fine for basic stuff like stock footage which doesn't really need much editing at all.

BTW video is a major part of what I do to make money and I have a degree in Film and TV. Just FYI. ;)
12 years 8 months ago #124527 by steveheap

BTW video is a major part of what I do to make money and I have a degree in Film and TV. Just FYI.

Do you sell through stock sites, or create video for specific commissions from buyers? I feel I should really spend more time on video as each sale on Pond5 gets me $25 or $30 (for a 15 second video), but I haven't really got my mind round what sells. I should set myself a target of getting one good video a week and see where that goes!

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 8 months ago #124537 by Stealthy Ninja

steveheap wrote:

BTW video is a major part of what I do to make money and I have a degree in Film and TV. Just FYI.

Do you sell through stock sites, or create video for specific commissions from buyers? I feel I should really spend more time on video as each sale on Pond5 gets me $25 or $30 (for a 15 second video), but I haven't really got my mind round what sells. I should set myself a target of getting one good video a week and see where that goes!

Steve

No I don't do stock videography. I could I suppose, but the money you get for it isn't worth the effort IMHO. $30 wouldn't be enough for me to even get my video camera out. ;) I need at least $150USD to warrant that (going by my normal rates).

I mainly do corporate videos. Training DVDs, promotional stuff. It's boring, but it pays ok.

BTW I mean no offense by what I said above... it's just the reality for me.
12 years 8 months ago #124542 by steveheap

BTW I mean no offense by what I said above... it's just the reality for me.

No offense taken! I'm always interested in what others do, and have no issue with their approaches.

I see the video, at the minute, as an interesting adjunct to taking photos, and if some of the videos sell (and don't take too long to process), then I may as well take those in addition. You are absolutely right about DSLRs - they are not a good form factor for video, and while the absolute quality of a tripod mounted DSLR is good for video, the very thin DoF and the poor autofocus, and the difficulty of holding them steady does not make for good quality regular video.

BTW - the $30 compares with 38c for a still photo - so a much greater impact per sale. However, the absolute number of sales is much lower, and so taking photos still makes more sense to me.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 8 months ago #124545 by Baydream
That's why they play the game. If everyone produced the same product, their wouldn't be enough customers to go around. Wedding, portrait, stock, video, editorial, etc. Good examples of the ways photography can be profitable to some if you're willing to put in the work (and have the talent). Good discussion, folks.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124549 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh there's many ways to make money of photography/video. I mean I'm not making millions making full length feature films either, but we all do what we can. :)

$30 for 15seconds isn't bad money BTW. I just can't afford the time to go out and do that sort of thing.

Funny how HK is like that. A LOT less free time for some reason. It seems like we're always doing something... maybe it's the atmosphere of the place I dunno.
12 years 8 months ago #124551 by Joves
No mine doesnt have it and even if it did I wouldnt use it. I would buy a videocam for that.

12 years 8 months ago #124555 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Yeh there's many ways to make money of photography/video. I mean I'm not making millions making full length feature films either, but we all do what we can. :)

$30 for 15seconds isn't bad money BTW. I just can't afford the time to go out and do that sort of thing.

Funny how HK is like that. A LOT less free time for some reason. It seems like we're always doing something... maybe it's the atmosphere of the place I dunno.

I sometimes think cities do that. Farther away from the bright lights, there seems to be more "down time".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124742 by Pettigrew
I think it won't be long before all DSLR's will have video as a main feature of it.

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #124848 by Addicted2Photos

Pettigrew wrote: I think it won't be long before all DSLR's will have video as a main feature of it.

:agree: so so true

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024