Question about mirror lock up

13 years 3 months ago #12409 by Ziggy
I've heard this term used a number of times and just read on a blog that for serious landscape and nature photos, mirror lock up is a must. Also nighttime photography. Now I have both a D70 and D300 and was wondering if someone would shed some light on mirror lock up and when you would use it. Why would it be used, and last... how do I lock my mirror. Actually the last question I can look in my menu settings to figure out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ziggy

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #12453 by Stealthy Ninja

Ziggy wrote: I've heard this term used a number of times and just read on a blog that for serious landscape and nature photos, mirror lock up is a must. Also nighttime photography. Now I have both a D70 and D300 and was wondering if someone would shed some light on mirror lock up and when you would use it. Why would it be used, and last... how do I lock my mirror. Actually the last question I can look in my menu settings to figure out.

Ziggy

In order to see through your lens (using the viewfinder) you need a little mirror (set at an angle) just in front of the sensor.

When you take a photo, the mirror flicks up and out of the way, the shutter moves across the sensor, and then the mirror flops back down again.

The movement of the mirror can produce minor shake.

When taking a landscape photo at long exposures and/or long focal lengths, even minor shake (like that from the mirror moving up and down) can cause enough shake in your photo to be noticeable.

Mirror lock up does exactly what it says. With a press of your shutter (or cable release). It locks your mirror into the "up" position (you can;t see through the viewfinder at this point). Then, when you press the shutter button again, the shutter opens/moves across the sensor and the exposure is made.

Thus reducing shake.

In many models, a photo taken in live view mode will have the mirror locked up already.

Also in timer mode, often (I can't say all models, because I don't know all the models, but mostly this is true) the mirror locks up before taking a picture. When you press the shutter to start the timer, the mirror locks up. Then the photo is taken after the timer finishes. I use this method combined with live-view mode when taking a photo on a tripod (landscape) because it saves me using my remote shutter triggers.

www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/und...es/mirror-lock.shtml
13 years 3 months ago #12658 by Ziggy

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Ziggy wrote: I've heard this term used a number of times and just read on a blog that for serious landscape and nature photos, mirror lock up is a must. Also nighttime photography. Now I have both a D70 and D300 and was wondering if someone would shed some light on mirror lock up and when you would use it. Why would it be used, and last... how do I lock my mirror. Actually the last question I can look in my menu settings to figure out.

Ziggy

In order to see through your lens (using the viewfinder) you need a little mirror (set at an angle) just in front of the sensor.

When you take a photo, the mirror flicks up and out of the way, the shutter moves across the sensor, and then the mirror flops back down again.

When taking a landscape photo at long exposures and/or long focal lengths, even minor shake (like that from the mirror moving up and down) can cause enough shake in your photo to be noticeable.

Mirror lock up does exactly what it says. With a press of your shutter (or cable release). It locks your mirror into the "up" position (you can;t see through the viewfinder at this point). Then, when you press the shutter button again, the shutter opens/moves across the sensor and the exposure is made.

Thus reducing shake.

In many models, a photo taken in live view mode will have the mirror locked up already.

Also in timer mode, often (I can't say all models, because I don't know all the models, but mostly this is true) the mirror locks up before taking a picture. When you press the shutter to start the timer, the mirror locks up. Then the photo is taken after the timer finishes. I use this method combined with live-view mode when taking a photo on a tripod (landscape) because it saves me using my remote shutter triggers.

This might be a silly question, but if we know the mirror will make a ever so slight vibration, why not take every shot with it locked?

BTW thank you for the detailed answer! :cheer:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12671 by Ziggy
One other question please. I'm looking in my manual on how to lock the mirror and it only list it as "Lock mirror up for cleaning".

So was this originally meant for cleaning the camera or am I missing something here? Thanks again!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #13436 by Stealthy Ninja

Ziggy wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Ziggy

Thus reducing shake.

This might be a silly question, but if we know the mirror will make a ever so slight vibration, why not take every shot with it locked?

BTW thank you for the detailed answer! :cheer:

Because it would black out the viewfinder and wouldn't release the shutter till you clicked again, (not practical). Also, with fast shutter speeds, the slight vibration isn't going to be noticeable at all. MLU is for long exposures only (on a tripod or stable surface only).

Ziggy wrote: One other question please. I'm looking in my manual on how to lock the mirror and it only list it as "Lock mirror up for cleaning".

So was this originally meant for cleaning the camera or am I missing something here? Thanks again!

No, it's something that's been around for a while. You have MLU for cleaning because on DSLRs they you need the mirror out of the way when cleaning the sensor.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024