Finding time for photography, do you have a problem with this?

13 years 3 months ago #12451 by Silver Fox
Not to complain, but man! It's so hard to find a good few hours in one shot these days to get out and photograph. Work hours are long, days are short. So who has the violin to play right about now. :lol: Really, those with a 9 to 5 job, how are you finding time to get out and spend quality time photographing things?

I am all ears B)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12454 by scarman1313
I do what I can when I can but I would like to have more time to take pics then I do.

13 years 3 months ago #12460 by Karl Wertanen

Silver Fox wrote: Not to complain, but man! It's so hard to find a good few hours in one shot these days to get out and photograph. Work hours are long, days are short. So who has the violin to play right about now. :lol: Really, those with a 9 to 5 job, how are you finding time to get out and spend quality time photographing things?

I am all ears B)

It's tough... It's usually dark in the morning when i get up for work so i cant catch that early light (even in the summer) and it's just too hectic at home to catch that late evening light when i get home from work. And now that it's winter, it's dark when i get home from work anyway.... so i'm usually an early saturday/sunday morning guy when i can get the wife mad at me enough to not want me around when she wakes up in the morning lol! :blink: but i seriosly have not picked up my camera in about 3-4 weeks. :(
13 years 3 months ago #12468 by Ziggy
Very tough, considering shorter days = less light to work with. Plus it's way to cold out side! Need a dedicated studio!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12646 by Jacob1977
Granted winter months I see a lot less opportunity, however my camera is usually always with me, so when the opportunity is there, I'm ready!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12666 by Jo0c7
It is hard to find time during the winter with less light hours. But once Spring comes, I take the kids out let them play and I have fun shooting.

13 years 3 months ago #12820 by Scotty
Learn to make time.

Last day I had off, I drove out 3 hours each way to do some landscape. It's always worth it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12833 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote: Learn to make time.

Last day I had off, I drove out 3 hours each way to do some landscape. It's always worth it.

Where did ya go? what did you get?
13 years 3 months ago #12840 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Grand Haven. Shot the beach and lighthouses again. Didn't have time due to a navigational "error" we had, to do the old piano factory.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #12845 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Grand Haven. Shot the beach and lighthouses again. Didn't have time due to a navigational "error" we had, to do the old piano factory.

Thats a really nice town. They have some nice restaurants and bars on the main drag.
Any good ice?
13 years 3 months ago #12847 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Thats a really nice town. They have some nice restaurants and bars on the main drag.
Any good ice?

Yeah, the whole lighthouse walkway and everything was completely frozen over. It was a helluva time walking on it ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12849 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Any good ice?

Yeah, the whole lighthouse walkway and everything was completely frozen over. It was a helluva time walking on it ;)

Awesome! how was the light? or was it lake effect dumping on you?
13 years 3 months ago #12850 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Any good ice?

Awesome! how was the light? or was it lake effect dumping on you?

Overcast.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12857 by Augustin
As mentioned already, winter months do create a challenge with short day's. But summer months I get a lot of shooting time.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12864 by bhowdy
I agree that the winter makes it difficult to get out shoot. I do make it a priority to get out on the weekend. The other avenue that I use is indoors doing water drops, etc. macro images. There have been several good artiles / videos posted here on Photography Talk.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024