RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152651 by Henry Peach

icepics wrote: So what type of information does the jpeg process discard?

It depends on the processing parameters. If you have them set to BW it would discard the color info for instance. Or it may be set to high contrast; later if you wanted to go low contrast you might find parts of the tonal range missing.

I wouldn't compare raw to a negative, but rather to exposed but undeveloped print film. There are plenty of processing adjustments that can be made in the development stage of film. I always tried to accomplish most of my contrast adjustments with film using exposure and development changes, and used multi-contrast printing filters for fine tuning.
12 years 6 months ago #152655 by Baydream
:agree:

Henry Peach wrote:

icepics wrote: So what type of information does the jpeg process discard?

It depends on the processing parameters. If you have them set to BW it would discard the color info for instance. Or it may be set to high contrast; later if you wanted to go low contrast you might find parts of the tonal range missing.

I wouldn't compare raw to a negative, but rather to exposed but undeveloped print film. There are plenty of processing adjustments that can be made in the development stage of film. I always tried to accomplish most of my contrast adjustments with film using exposure and development changes, and used multi-contrast printing filters for fine tuning.

The big difference is that if you screw up the initial processing of a negative, you're toast. RAW gives you the opportunity to reprocess that undeveloped film and correct mistakes at that stage.

Jpegs are great for snapshots, web (like Facebook) photos, and sometimes extreme action photos where getting multiple shots may trump quality (due to a slower cards buffering limitations).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152670 by KCook
For JPG processing I always save my edited versions with a unique file name, then the original is never altered. I can very easily start over at any time. This practice is about as simple as basic computer editing gets, regardless of the type of file. I've always been greatly puzzled by the argument that a edited JPG can never be recovered. Just pull up the original!!!! :rolleyes

KISS Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152672 by MLKstudios
Kelly, not to the level of a RAW. Go take some pics with your camera on VIVID or other camera tweaks that change the gamma of the camera. These things get immediately applied to the image in JPEG mode and are irreversible.

Keeping the camera settings close to "neutral" will give you the best JPEG original, but even then it's been converted from 12 (or 14) bits to 8.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #152673 by KCook
I know that. I also know if I set Vivid in the camera, I have zero interest in working from Faithful! Also, many advanced editing tools work only with 8-bit channel depth. So at that point you've stepped away from RAW anyways.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152675 by MLKstudios
I work everything in RAW (in Lightroom). JPEG is but an optional export.

Not saying that JPEG isn't "good enough" for most uses. But, it isn't the best to edit with.

RAW editing isn't hard to do. In fact it's easier than JPEG. Jump in!

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #152801 by KCook
Err, I have been using RAW for the last 2 years. And I now do all of my shooting in RAW. Agree that it's not hard (with a decent editor). But so far I have not found RAW to be a magic bullet. Only marginally better than JPG. Thus I do not beat the RAW drum as hard as others.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152807 by MLKstudios
That's the message I've been trying to get through here...

"There are no magic bullets, or gadgets or anything that will make your work stand out."

It's simply knowing what your camera settings do, and understanding the physics of light.

Then you can shape it, mold it, pose it, or frame it any way you want. It's easy.

Don't believe the pretenders that are selling you how hard photography is. Great work can be made with your beginner camera, a 50mm lens and a reflector. You can't buy it, you learn it.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
12 years 6 months ago #152854 by Scotty

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Another thread added...

Please visit here before posting a new thread:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...ting-a-thread#124574

With all due respect Adrian shouldnt you be asking the originator of the thread if he/she wants it to be combined, isnt it there right in a democracy to have there own thread out there, you are assuming that everyone wants to go to one large thread for info, this site after all is about us all interacting and helping each other.
This an observation not a complaint by the way, I can see your purpose in what you are doing.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :toocrazy: :banana: :thumbsup:

Combining threads like this is very common practice on forums.

I specifically made a thread (linked in my signature and stickied in the beginners section) that has many RAW vs Jpeg style threads. There is and there was no need for a new one.

So to answer your question. No I don't need to ask them first, they should have looked about a bit first.

If the question is reasonably original I won't combine the thread, but we've had around 10 threads on the topic now and that is just messy.

I know you dont need to ask but isnt it just a courteous thing to do as this is the most friendly forum regarding photography, as I said it wasnt a complaint just an observation. as I said people like to have their own threads it makes them feel as though they are contributing positively, plus they may want the extra points !!, looking around isnt always easy as some of these threads disappear to the back pages very quickly and I know you will say they can go into a particular area to find it, but its my bet that most people on here will click on recent topics and go through a few pages depending on how much time they have, its just human nature. :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

:cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #152861 by photobod

Scotty wrote:

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Another thread added...

Please visit here before posting a new thread:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...ting-a-thread#124574

With all due respect Adrian shouldnt you be asking the originator of the thread if he/she wants it to be combined, isnt it there right in a democracy to have there own thread out there, you are assuming that everyone wants to go to one large thread for info, this site after all is about us all interacting and helping each other.
This an observation not a complaint by the way, I can see your purpose in what you are doing.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :toocrazy: :banana: :thumbsup:

Combining threads like this is very common practice on forums.

I specifically made a thread (linked in my signature and stickied in the beginners section) that has many RAW vs Jpeg style threads. There is and there was no need for a new one.

So to answer your question. No I don't need to ask them first, they should have looked about a bit first.

If the question is reasonably original I won't combine the thread, but we've had around 10 threads on the topic now and that is just messy.

I know you dont need to ask but isnt it just a courteous thing to do as this is the most friendly forum regarding photography, as I said it wasnt a complaint just an observation. as I said people like to have their own threads it makes them feel as though they are contributing positively, plus they may want the extra points !!, looking around isnt always easy as some of these threads disappear to the back pages very quickly and I know you will say they can go into a particular area to find it, but its my bet that most people on here will click on recent topics and go through a few pages depending on how much time they have, its just human nature. :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

Scotty we can all see search but as I keep repeating human nature dictates that people will prefer to post there own threads, I dont think I have ever used the search tab on here, do a poll and I bet most people come on here and go into recent topics then skip through the pages.

:cheers:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #152961 by Scotty
Organization is fundamental to the growth and strength of a forum.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152974 by photobod

Scotty wrote: Organization is fundamental to the growth and strength of a forum.

Organisation can be very boring also
:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #152983 by MLKstudios
As long as it includes a dash of anarchy, I'm OK. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #152992 by KCook

MLKstudios wrote: As long as it includes a dash of anarchy, I'm OK. ;)

Heading for Wall Street are we? Sorry, I'm weak and could not resist.:evil: :dry: :cheers:

rebel without a cause

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152994 by MLKstudios
No prob, Kelly!

I'm too far away from NYC, but I would have liked to photograph it.

Am another rebel, and believe my cause is just. So does Smith:

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024