Question about metering and AE lock

12 years 8 months ago #124862 by ZiggyMissy
What is the difference between metering for a specific part of a photo and using the auto exposure lock?

Here is how I understand it, which is probably totally off. I based this from reading about the two subjects separately and have struggled finding info that talks about the relationship between the two.

When I want to meter for someones face, I get close to their face and look at my meter. In theory, I want to adjust either aperture or shutter speed to get the meter at zero. This will expose the scene so that the face is properly exposed since it is what I decided is of top priority.

With AE lock, I depress whatever button I have assigned AE to and the camera will hold that exposure even if I recompose or refocus. Doing this DOES NOT allow me to adjust exposure compensation, though, right? The exposure is being decided by the camera, possibly -1 or +1, etc, because I'm not changing my settings.

Basically, I'm better off metering it on my own because that gives me more control over whether I under or overexpose a scene. The AE lock still allows the camera to decide the exposure based on your settings, correct?

Please someone let me know if I understand this or not. lol

12 years 8 months ago #124866 by Sha Nea
the AE lock only works in one of the program modes not manual. In a program mode you are taking the exposure reading off the subject based on where you have your meter reading (center, left, right or a few points) and "locking" it as you recompose so that the camera knows what you want. Since you are in a program mode you are telling the camera to either decide on everything (auto); you want a certain shutter speed (shutter priority) or a certain aperture (aperture priority). In the last 2 the only thing you control is the camera setting you selected. Can you over or under expose - depends on your camera.
In manual mode you are manually doing this by what you are calling metering and adjusting your camera for the "correct" reading. At this point you can also adjust for over or under exposure. When you say you get close to their face - if you are physically getting close that won't work; if you a zooming into the face then it will.

12 years 8 months ago #124869 by ZiggyMissy
Thank you so much for setting me straight on that. I now get it.

12 years 8 months ago #124874 by Henry Peach

ZiggyMissy wrote: With AE lock, I depress whatever button I have assigned AE to and the camera will hold that exposure even if I recompose or refocus. Doing this DOES NOT allow me to adjust exposure compensation, though, right? The exposure is being decided by the camera, possibly -1 or +1, etc, because I'm not changing my settings.

Meter lock just keeps the exposure set at what ever you were at when you pressed the button, even if the brightness of the scene in the viewfinder changes.

Exp comp would be set before pressing the meter lock button, and it would work as normal: adjusting the exposure set by the camera from middle gray by the exp comp setting.
12 years 8 months ago #124925 by MLKstudios
Middle gray IF the metering mode is set to CWA or Spot. In Evaluative/Matrix mode, it does its own compensation for you. But you can only guess what that is.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024