Advice for when shooting in direct sunlight

12 years 8 months ago #127700 by Kr15t
I know that the best time for outdoor shooting is during the "magic hours". However, more often than not I find myself shooting for one thing or another during the middle of the day when the sun is at its worst. I seem to have a lot of trouble getting my exposures right. More often than not they're either too bright or too dark. I understand a little about light metering and often try to meter off the bright sections Unfortunately I still find myself correcting my mistakes in post.

Is there any advice or tricks I can learn to get better exposures?

12 years 8 months ago #127705 by Pa2tr7
If your camera can be set to exposure bracketing, that may work.
Check out your manual for exposure bracketing.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127706 by Henry Peach
Learn to read your camera's histogram. It can help you see if the photo is under or over exposed.

www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/histograms1.htm

The meter tells you the exposure settings to make whatever you are pointed at middle gray tone. If you point the meter at something bright, the settings it gives you would result in the subject being darker.
12 years 8 months ago #127707 by Kris4pics
There are ways to improve you photos...mainly by controlling light. For example, if there is bright sunlight, you can use a reflector to bounce some light back onto the shadow side of your subject. The closer the reflector, the brighter the reflected light will be.

Another thing you can do, is use flash to help fill in the shadows.
Whether you're using reflected light or flash, the key is that you are adding light to the shadows on your subject, thus hopefully bringing all of them into your dynamic range.

12 years 8 months ago #127708 by Kr15t

Pa2tr7 wrote: If your camera can be set to exposure bracketing, that may work.
Check out your manual for exposure bracketing.

I meant to check the manual to see if it does bracketing, because I've wanted to try HDR.

12 years 8 months ago #127709 by Kr15t

Henry Peach wrote: Learn to read your camera's histogram. It can help you see if the photo is under or over exposed.

The meter tells you the exposure settings to make whatever you are pointed at middle gray tone. If you point the meter at something bright, the settings it gives you would result in the subject being darker.

Yea I know the histogram is there, but I completely ignore it. lol. I guess I shouldn't.

12 years 8 months ago #127710 by Kr15t

Kris4pics wrote: There are ways to improve you photos...mainly by controlling light. For example, if there is bright sunlight, you can use a reflector to bounce some light back onto the shadow side of your subject. The closer the reflector, the brighter the reflected light will be.

Another thing you can do, is use flash to help fill in the shadows.
Whether you're using reflected light or flash, the key is that you are adding light to the shadows on your subject, thus hopefully bringing all of them into your dynamic range.

I understand about filling in the shadows, but wouldn't adding more light over expose the areas that is full of sun?

12 years 8 months ago #127713 by Kris4pics
The fill light you end up using will even the overall light.

12 years 8 months ago #127724 by Baydream

Kris4pics wrote: The fill light you end up using will even the overall light.

:agree:
And the fill flash will tend to illuminate the closer areas (more likely to be dark).
There are several ideas of the Articles section of PT.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #127731 by Kr15t

Baydream wrote:

Kris4pics wrote: The fill light you end up using will even the overall light.

:agree:
And the fill flash will tend to illuminate the closer areas (more likely to be dark).
There are several ideas of the Articles section of PT.

Thanks. I'll check out those articles.

12 years 8 months ago #127818 by rmeyer7
You can also get panels to soften the light, basically turning the sun into a giant softbox. I've even seen a video where one photographer used a white sheet to do the same thing! I think there are videos for both of those posted somewhere on PT. Of course that's not always possible. But it can work in some situations.

If you're worried about overexposure, you can expose for the background and then use lighting for your model/subject.

12 years 8 months ago #127845 by Henry Peach

Kr15t wrote: I understand about filling in the shadows, but wouldn't adding more light over expose the areas that is full of sun?

The sun is usually still so bright that the light you add to the bright part isn't significant. Particularly if only using a speedlight or reflector.
12 years 8 months ago #127865 by MLKstudios
Exposure is logarithmic. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #128329 by Office Guy

Henry Peach wrote: Learn to read your camera's histogram. It can help you see if the photo is under or over exposed.

Good tips

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128778 by kimaldis
I was sifting through my archives the other day after someone was talking about the golden hour. I think I've more good shots outside the hour than in. I think you just grab what looks good for you at the time.

Shooting into the sun:

Bracket. Then bracket more. You can get into a lot of theory about correct exposure and stuff but honestly, the right exposure right whether you've guessed it or based it on the theroy. Shoot right across the range, 2-3 stops either side and you've got everything you want, make your final decisions in post where you've got time to think about it properly. And hold the camera steady so you can use bits from different exposures in the final shot.

Shoot 16 bit RAW. The luminance range direct into sun is way too great for 8 bit and you're going to need to pull shadows and drop highlights.

This shot : Direct into sun, single shot (no comp) 16 bit RAW, picked out of 8 shots bracketed 3 stops either side of the meter ( spot meter reading taken from the rocks in the foreground). I'd have liked to get a bit more detail in the shadows of the cliffs over on the far side of the bay but not so much I could be bothered to grab it from another shot. The sun's just out of shot, I tried a few with it in shot but it blows too much.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024